Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Cheney: Economic Stats Miss EBay Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Cheney: Economic Stats Miss EBay Sales

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../cheney_ebay_5

Indicators measure the nation's unemployment rate, consumer spending and other economic milestones, but Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) says it misses the hundreds of thousands who make money selling on eBay...

..."If we only included bake sales and how much money kids make at lemonade stands, this economy would really be cooking," Edwards said in a statement.
Even though it may seem like the VP is digging I think he has a legitimate point. Ebay is grass roots capitalism at its finest and 400,000+ powersellers know it. This isn't a mere lemonade stand as Edwards suggests, it's a booming metropolis of revenue.

I've only done business of ebay a handful of times but don't bronze members generate ~$1000 a month and titanium sellers generate ~$150,000+ with every type of selling member in between? Not to mention the consideration of shipping costs generated and we're looking at something entirely different than a lemonade stand.

Food for thought...
Old 09-16-2004, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
Don't forget the adamantium sellers.

I don't know if this hides the fact that the ecomony is still in a slump. It's a natural cycle. The bush administration came in during a peak and fumbled it so bad that it got way worse than it naturally would have. Cheney sure is an ugly som'bich aint he?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
Food for thought...
It sure sounds like he is grabbing at straws with that one. Alot of those powersellers are actually just businesses that do a web-side to their normal storefront. Or they just do the web-side of it but they are still businesses that report taxes and such. I think Bush-Cheney is having a hard time realizing that their precious tax cut didn't do what it was supposed to do and now they are just trying in anyway possible to divert attention from the fact that our economy still sucks.

There have been 400,000 IT jobs lost since 2001 and that was supposed to be one of the fastest growing fields in the country when I got into it. I remember having head-hunters calling me and asking me if I wanted to come in for an interview in 2000 when I had a good job at the time.

It is amazing the decline this country has taken financially with the biggest deficit ever recorded and the weakest job recovery since the 1930's and yet Bush has yet to answer as to why this is and what will be done to fix it. I am just getting tired of the BS being spewed by this administration.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
It sure sounds like he is grabbing at straws with that one. Alot of those powersellers are actually just businesses that do a web-side to their normal storefront. Or they just do the web-side of it but they are still businesses that report taxes and such. I think Bush-Cheney is having a hard time realizing that their precious tax cut didn't do what it was supposed to do and now they are just trying in anyway possible to divert attention from the fact that our economy still sucks.

There have been 400,000 IT jobs lost since 2001 and that was supposed to be one of the fastest growing fields in the country when I got into it. I remember having head-hunters calling me and asking me if I wanted to come in for an interview in 2000 when I had a good job at the time.

It is amazing the decline this country has taken financially with the biggest deficit ever recorded and the weakest job recovery since the 1930's and yet Bush has yet to answer as to why this is and what will be done to fix it. I am just getting tired of the BS being spewed by this administration.
Those IT Jobs are mainly from outsourcing bro, that's not the economy's fault, that's the company's fault trying to make the almighty dollar at the employee's expense. Blaim China for that or India or whatever countries they outsource too.

Also remember 9-11??? the economy would of never had such a big down fall if 9-11 never happened, that event alone was the main downfall of the economy, that messed things up royally with the airlines and everything else went to a standstill, also if you know about the market we have up and down years, this was the cycle of down years,

down years + 9-11 = disaster

This is not all of Bush's fault he may be at fault alittle bit, but the economy's posistion is in no way totally Bush's fault and in all reality it just might not even be his. Also remember the guy who controls the interest rates.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:12 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...also remember that up until now, there's been an economic up-swing after every war/conflict...but Iraq is technically 'over' now, and no economic boom...that, I think, IS this administration's fault.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by esracer
Those IT Jobs are mainly from outsourcing bro, that's not the economy's fault, that's the company's fault trying to make the almighty dollar at the employee's expense. Blaim China for that or India or whatever countries they outsource too.

Also remember 9-11??? the economy would of never had such a big down fall if 9-11 never happened, that event alone was the main downfall of the economy, that messed things up royally with the airlines and everything else went to a standstill, also if you know about the market we have up and down years, this was the cycle of down years
Believe me I know exactly what effects 9/11 had on me personally with my job situation and I don't believe it was the adminstrations fault at all. Hell at the time you can ask anyone that knows me I was a huge Bush supporter after 9/11. Right up until we invaded Iraq because it took the focus off of the people who did that to our country, and put it on Saddam who I didn't believe was as big a threat as they made him out to be. Low and behold guess what he wasn't a big threat to us as a nation, but that is for another thread.

When 9/11 happened I was working for a growing, up and coming software company in the Metro Detroit area. We were getting ready to go public and everyone was planning on making some good money. (there were 16 employees counting the CEO and CFO)

We had secured some financing from a few investment bankers located in NYC that would have secured our future and allowed us to file with the SEC and continue on down the road as a successful company. Then 9/11 happened and the bottom fell out from all the investment bankers. They all pulled the plug on our financing and the owner started dropping in his own money (retirement, nest egg, etc) at the objections of his wife. His money ran out and the people that didn't get laid off right after 9/11 (me included) didn't get paid for a 2 month period. He finally secured some more short term financing and we all got paid but I got laid off in the last round of cuts after 9/11 which happened around June of 2002.

About the outsourcing, whose adminstration do you think relaxed the rules letting companys seek work outside the US like they have? I with MVWRX on his point as well. I blame the current adminstration for the non-upswing after a major conflict.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

I don't think the Bush Administration has anything to do with the outsourcing, the U.S. has outsourced work for years and years, All the shoes and crap is made elsewhere.....it just took sometime before the companies relized that they can send a helpdesk to another country or send alot of computer programing to another country, it just like having a Levis factory in Mexico, or Nike having a factory in malaysia, outsourcing has always been here, and will always be.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by esracer
I don't think the Bush Administration has anything to do with the outsourcing, the U.S. has outsourced work for years and years, All the shoes and crap is made elsewhere.....it just took sometime before the companies relized that they can send a helpdesk to another country or send alot of computer programing to another country, it just like having a Levis factory in Mexico, or Nike having a factory in malaysia, outsourcing has always been here, and will always be.
We're talking about IT not shoes and here is some info to help you out.

About the E-Government Act that Bush signed:

The new law contains scores of provisions, but in a statement announcing it, Bush only mentioned a few sections to emphasize administration policy. In a White House that encourages increased outsourcing of IT work, Bush noted the new law lets government agencies award so-called share-in-savings outsourcing contracts in which contractors share in the savings achieved by agencies through use of IT.

From http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20021217S0005

Alot of those 400,000 IT jobs lost can be attributed to the companys taking advantage of the bonuses the Bush administration gave them with their share-in-savings plan for outsourcing.

Last edited by SilverScoober02; 09-17-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
We're talking about IT not shoes and here is some info to help you out.

About the E-Government Act that Bush signed:

The new law contains scores of provisions, but in a statement announcing it, Bush only mentioned a few sections to emphasize administration policy. In a White House that encourages increased outsourcing of IT work, Bush noted the new law lets government agencies award so-called share-in-savings outsourcing contracts in which contractors share in the savings achieved by agencies through use of IT.

From http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20021217S0005

Alot of those 400,000 IT jobs lost can be attributed to the companys taking advantage of the bonuses the Bush administration gave them with their share-in-savings plan for outsourcing.
Ok I see the law I read the article, but.....that act looks like from the article it is only dealing with some governmental issues. Not our normal companies like Dell, and Microsoft, and other companies. The main loss I have seen is dealing with Dell, Intell, and other software giants, and energy companies, My bro in law works in IT.....he had a job at TXU, big energy company in texas, they cut all the IT force and gave them to a contracting company. I think the government's IT outsource is much much less than the giants who are cutting the jobs. This is what I see........

debate more....