Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Call centers and outsourcing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Call centers and outsourcing

Just read a distubring article about verbal abuse levied by Americans against Indian call center emplyees. Instead of people taking democratic initiatives to push for more local labor, some have resorted to ugly and abusive measures to belittle people just like us but who happen to live in another continent.

The irony is, most of the call center employees in places like India are very well educated, with a preponderance holding a minimum of bachelor's degrees. Though they might speak with accents, they are probably twice as smart as the average person calling in with questions like "How do I turn on my computer?" and "Does this fax require paper?"

Link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=tech

And we wonder why the rest of the world is really growing to dislike us! The simple fact is, outsourcing is an invention of capitalism, the very system we love and propogate.

Last edited by dub2w; 11-17-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by dub2w
Just read a distubring article about verbal abuse levied by Americans against Indian call center emplyees.
Since when has customer service been a plethora of good attitudes? 99 times out of 100 you're calling because you're already frustrated due to your own technological barrier, or because your $1500 piece of hardware just took a dump on you. A piece of hardware you still don't consider to be cheap enough even though Dell has taken the initiative to direct your cries for help to an entirely different culture in order to make them cheaper.

Sure, a lot are from India and most of the people in the USA now know this. The fact that American jobs are being outsourced overseas adds to the already bitter state of mind some callers were already bringing to the table. Although I think it's shallow and something I'm incapable of doing, the fact it happens is a no brainier that lies in the hands of Dell and the rest of the conglomerates that continue to outsource. As much as it may suck, you can’t expect this not to happen. These companies must have expected this which is why most are schooled on accents as well. It comes with the territory....

Last edited by Salty; 11-17-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Wow, yet another "Why Americans suck" article.
What's funny, is that a few i-clubbers work in tech support and tell horror stories of...get ready...German customers..:gasp:!!

When I get transferred to "Ken" who can't fix my ****ing problem, I get irate...because it took me a long time to even get to talk to him.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Salty
Since when has customer service been a plethora of good attitudes? 99 times out of 100 you're calling because you're already frustrated
Exactly... you're already PO'd and then someone who you can't understand is on the other line..... it freaking makes me mad, but I don't take it out on the individual on the other end.

Rather than complaining, I canceled my XM subscription (outsourcing was just one reason).
Old 11-17-2005, 08:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Would you rather speak to a american? Personally, I think the Indians are smarter...

<-Is going to post a long drawn out opinion on outsourcing and its benifits later
Old 11-17-2005, 09:17 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I'd talk to anyone...that can help me.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
all the more reason for the dip****s of this country to clue the **** in and keep to date on their skill sets AND EDUCATION...

this is nothing more then a failing of our education system, peoples intelligence, and of course IT and globalization...

its only going to get worse..
Old 11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
all the more reason for the dip****s of this country to clue the **** in and keep to date on their skill sets AND EDUCATION...

this is nothing more then a failing of our education system, peoples intelligence, and of course IT and globalization...

its only going to get worse..
Although you may be on to something here it has nothing to do with outsourcing. This country full of "dip****s" helped establish a middle class that didn't exist in India when you were still a tinkle in your daddy's eye. How incompetent can we really be when you put it that way? As much as I think outsourcing sucks, it's a simple as capitalization.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:24 AM

Car Info: Sline
I think out sourcing is good to help produce something at a cheaper cost. (ie: computer parts) I do not think it's good to outsource jobs like customer support. Yeah, these people are smart, educated, blah blah. But I want to talk to osomeone that I can understand AND THAT CAN UNDERSTAND ME. If a company wants these oh so intelligent people to work for them. Then bring them here. Set them up with some housing and help them learn better english.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Did anyone see Thomas L. Friedmans' "the other sider of outsourcing"?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
Would you rather speak to a american? Personally, I think the Indians are smarter...
A general anti-American attitude is one symptom of insane liberalism.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
A general anti-American attitude is one symptom of insane liberalism.
While I dont think Indians are necessarily smarter than Americans or vice-versa, bringing up faults within our own country or countrymen is not anti-American. The whole "with us or against us" mentality is, ironically, anti-American.

And Salty, this isn't a no-brainer (unless you have accepted the idea that Americans are that pathetic and cant be held to any acceptable normative bahaviors). I for one get pissed when I read about crap like this... it is unacceptable.

For the record, I run Customer Service for my company so might be interested in this sort of thing. If, for example, a bunch of surly Germans called in and berated my staff, I would kindly tell them to go eat a weiner.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Did anyone see Thomas L. Friedmans' "the other sider of outsourcing"?
PBS? I am wading through his newest book right now. He has great ideas but I growing long in the tooth trying to get through them
Old 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Discovery times channel.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by dub2w
If, for example, a bunch of surly Germans called in and berated my staff, I would kindly tell them to go eat a weiner.

I believe what you meant to say was "go eat a wienerschnitzel."

Quick Reply: Call centers and outsourcing