Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Bush Vows to Veto Stem Cell Legislation

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Bush Vows to Veto Stem Cell Legislation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050520/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Friday condemned stem cell research advances in South Korea and said he worried about living in a world in which human cloning was condoned. He said he would veto any legislation aimed at loosening limits on federal support in the United States.

"I'm very concerned about cloning," Bush told reporters in the Oval Office. "I worry about a world in which cloning becomes acceptable."

"I made it very clear to the Congress that the use of federal money, taxpayers' money to promote science which destroys life in order to save life is — I'm against that. And therefore, if the bill does that, I will veto it."

Republicans in Congress are sharply divided over the stem cell issue, which could lead to the first veto of Bush's presidency. The president's comments were aimed at putting the brakes on a bill gaining momentum on Capitol Hill.

That bill would lift Bush's ban on using federal dollars to do research on embryonic stem cell lines developed after August 2001. The president's veto threat drew immediate reaction from sponsors of the bipartisan bill, Reps. Mike Castle, R-Del., and Diana DeGette, D-Colo.

Castle said the legislation would not allow the cloning of embryos or embryo destruction. Instead, it would let government-funded researchers work with stem cells culled from embryos left over from fertility treatments.

"The bottom line is when a couple has decided to discard their excess embryos, they are either going to be discarded as medical waste or they can be donated for research," Castle said.

DeGette protested too. "It's disappointing that the president would threaten to use his first veto on a bill that holds promise for cures to diseases that affect millions of Americans," DeGette said.
"Support for expanding federal stem cell research in an ethical manner remains strong in Congress."
I'm going to have to agree with Castle and DeGette on this one...

dicuss.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
If he veto's everything that has to do with stem cells he is stunting development for an exciting prospect.

I just don't understand how he can fight so hard to preserve life (Shaivo) but turn around and stop something that could save millions.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by ericdared81
I just don't understand how he can fight so hard to preserve life (Shaivo) but turn around and stop something that could save millions.
I do.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:04 PM

He's not "stopping" anything. Stem cell researchers are free to do their own thing, just not on Uncle Sam's dime.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
...promote science which destroys life in order to save life...

Hmmmmmm...isn't that the exact reasoning that he used to justify going to war?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by FUNKED1
He's not "stopping" anything. Stem cell researchers are free to do their own thing
Only because he doesn't have the power to prevent it, only to control federal money potentially used for it. He's not okay with stem cell research at all, in any way. If he had his way none would be carried out at all.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 2004 San Remo Red WRX w/ Premimu package, Security package, and Short Throw shifter
Originally Posted by ericdared81
If he veto's everything that has to do with stem cells he is stunting development for an exciting prospect.

Because he has so many bible bangers in the square states to keep happy.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
W00t! Dianna DeGette! Finally my congresswoman is doing something