Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Bush offers sites for new oil refineries

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Bush offers sites for new oil refineries

Smart.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7646880/

WASHINGTON - President Bush is offering to make closed military bases available for new oil refineries and will ask Congress to provide a “risk insurance” to the nuclear industry against regulatory delays to spur construction of new nuclear power plants, senior administration officials said Tuesday.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:56 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Sounds great to me...we'd could get at least two here in Sacto area.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:35 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Sorry for the hijack, but I just heard that we are paying BP "world price" for our own Alaskan oil.... what a freaking corrupt CLUSTERFUDGE!!!!!

I mention it because I heard about it from the same guy who brought up using our military bases for energy production on tv this am.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:13 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Oaf
Sounds great to me...we'd could get at least two here in Sacto area.

Exactly why for me, personally, this would suck. I live less than a mile from Moffet, and if they turned that into a refinery MtnView would end up looking like Martinez and Benecia. I have nothing against those cities...but I'd rather not live near a refinery.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

I could see one going into the south side of Mather where all the fields are. They still use that base actively for NG. They also fly UPS, FedEx, USPS and other shippers from there. They could easily do McClellan which has a Regional Coast Guard Unit still. Who cares about the backyard views of those in North Highlands and Rio Linda. It just might go well with the engine blocks in their yards.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Exactly why for me, personally, this would suck. I live less than a mile from Moffet, and if they turned that into a refinery MtnView would end up looking like Martinez and Benecia. I have nothing against those cities...but I'd rather not live near a refinery.
I doubt this would affect Moffet, since the Navy still uses it. That would be funny, though, for all the Bay Area hippies to have to drive past Nuclear Silos every day =).
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
I doubt this would affect Moffet, since the Navy still uses it. That would be funny, though, for all the Bay Area hippies to have to drive past Nuclear Silos every day =).

They do? That's good to know. I thought NASA was the only thing left over there. To be honest, I'd rather have a brand new nuclear power plant than a refinery. Less dirty, and if it's brand new the risk of a meltdown is much lower (hopefully). And the US is pretty good at moving nuclear waste around, last I heard we've never had an accident in the transportation or storage of nuclear waste. And I don't think the regulatory bodies would ever let a Three Mile Island incident ever happen again.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
They do? That's good to know. I thought NASA was the only thing left over there. To be honest, I'd rather have a brand new nuclear power plant than a refinery. Less dirty, and if it's brand new the risk of a meltdown is much lower (hopefully). And the US is pretty good at moving nuclear waste around, last I heard we've never had an accident in the transportation or storage of nuclear waste. And I don't think the regulatory bodies would ever let a Three Mile Island incident ever happen again.
Actually, I think I'm probably wrong on that one. It's still federally owned, but I think the Navy might only be dealing with the toxic issues =).

My company had a Christmas party back in 2000 in one of the hangars there, and you still have to pass through security to get in.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

We already tried that with Rancho Seco but it failed because of poor performance. It originally performed like a champ and was influenced by the last oil crisis we had in the mid 70's.

They shut it down years ago and are still dismantling the radioactive material and contaminated components.

Seem like a big waste to me. I don't know why they didn't just fix the problems that were effecting the plant? It even created 700 jobs as opposed to 150 in recent years. And on top of this the cost to dismantle makes me wonder why they didn't invest in fixing the problems that eventually damned the plant even more?

They should put a water-cooled plant right on the waters of Benicia. That whole area is an industrial ****hole anyway