Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Bush & McCain working together to put restrictions on 527's

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Bush & McCain working together to put restrictions on 527's

President Bush wants to work with Republican Sen. John McCain to pursue court action against political ads by "shadowy" outside groups

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...swift_boat_ads

So what do you think about this?

"The president said if the court action doesn't work, that he would be willing to pursue legislative action with Sen. McCain on that," Bush spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters aboard Air Force One en route to New Mexico...

..."I'm very appreciative of the president's effort to do that," McCain said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I want to emphasize if I could that we're not saying that 527s should be abolished. We're just saying they should live under the same campaign finance restrictions (as hard money groups) because they are engaged in partisan activity."...

...The Bush campaign and the GOP have filed complaints accusing the Kerry campaign of illegally coordinating millions of dollars worth of anti-Bush ads with soft-money groups on the Democratic side...

... The Kerry campaign filed its own complaint last week with the FEC, alleging that Swift Boat Veterans for Truth was illegally coordinating its efforts with the Bush-Cheney campaign.

All sides deny the allegations, and neither campaign has produced proof of coordination on the part of its rival.

McClellan said the goal is "to shut down all of this activity by these shadowy groups."

Here's why i think Bush is telling the truth about his affiliation with the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth:

Mike Russell, a spokesman for the Swift Boat group, said Thursday that "we're going to continue doing what we're doing because this group is made up of more than 250 veterans who feel it is their obligation to tell the truth about John Kerry's military service."

"We're obviously going to abide by the spirit and letter of the law but as it sits right now 527s are free to operate and we're going to continue to do so," he said.
Mike Russel and the 250 veterans are so hardheaded about their cause that they'll continue to bash Kerry even if it hurts Bush's campaign. Doesn’t seem like a smart move for the Swifties if they really want diminish Kerry's chances of office.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Hurt Kerry's campaign? The current numbers do not reflect that sentiment. Perhaps educated voters might be turned off, but the avg lemming has already taking this hook, line, and sinker.

This will be Kerry's downfall
Old 08-26-2004, 12:16 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by dub2w
This will be Kerry's downfall
Allah willing.