Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The breakdown in perspective & predictions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
The breakdown in perspective & predictions.

Let's take a look at what happened yesterday...

In 2000 we had Dubya & Albert A. Gore, Jr.... Gore being the man that lost the election but seized the popular vote by a relatively thin margin.

Here's the difference for the popular vote of 2000: 0.51% with a 543,895 spread of voters between the Democrat and Republican candidates.

How many people voted in 2000: 104,338,854

Now let's talk about 2004 in relation to 2000, shall we?

Here's the difference for the popular vote of 2004: 3.00% with a current 3,530,818 spread of voters between the Democrat and Republican candidates -along- with ballots still being counted.

How many people voted in 2004 thus far: 114,052,716 total voters!

A staggering difference of 9,713,862 voters since 2000... enough people to fill Wrigley field 250 times over! These "hopeful voters" voted in favor of Bush with a +2.49% popular vote difference going in the opposite direction of the Democrats. A staggering & historical feat that has ultimately led to a future Kerry concession speech & little chance for any legal battles...

I'm assuming this increase of voters were the youthful Kerry voters I kept hearing about whenever a pro-Bush poll was posted here but whatever...

So what happened here?

And what do you honestly expect to happen in the next 4 years?

Last edited by Salty; 11-03-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
[i]And what do you honestly expect to happen in the next 4 years?

Well, honestly - i'm trying to keep a good perspective on this.

I don't really think my life will change that much - I'm 23, i make more money than most families do, and im not really law breaker. Over the next four years we are going to lose alot more wildlands, and that sucks, because i love the woods and whatnot. I really think Bush is making lots of wrong descisions based on faith and greed that will take a long time to undo - but i think they will eventually be undone. So, even though bush is likely to screw up our ecomony more, i really think that the impact we see in our lives will be minimal - they will seem huge because of news or documentaries. I think Bush is going to try and re-instate the draft at one point, which will suck - but the public outcry will be overwhelming, and it wont work. So, even though I'm bummed - its not the end of the world.

Here is a great quote my freind just sent me, and i definitley agree with it.

Despite the alleged "split" in the country.... 1) There were no riots in the street. 2) All candidates who started the election process are still alive today. 3) No cities are on fire and there is no looting 4) We all witnessed a historical election which will set the tone for the next generation and we all traveled to work as if it was a normal day. This is the process that the founding fathers envisioned. In an election where more people voted than ever before we should stop and think what we have accomplished . It is great to be an American
Cheers
Old 11-03-2004, 09:30 AM

Must've been all that media bias.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
I think the media bias does a lot to polarize people, and galvanize voting and non voting conservatives and spurring the latter to actually vote. I know it did for me, I voted in my first presidential election. I failed to do so in the last election where I would have voted for Gore, I was a little naive about politics back then.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by constellation
Well, honestly - i'm trying to keep a good perspective on this.

I don't really think my life will change that much - I'm 23, i make more money than most families do, and im not really law breaker. Over the next four years we are going to lose alot more wildlands, and that sucks, because i love the woods and whatnot. I really think Bush is making lots of wrong descisions based on faith and greed that will take a long time to undo - but i think they will eventually be undone. So, even though bush is likely to screw up our ecomony more, i really think that the impact we see in our lives will be minimal - they will seem huge because of news or documentaries. I think Bush is going to try and re-instate the draft at one point, which will suck - but the public outcry will be overwhelming, and it wont work. So, even though I'm bummed - its not the end of the world.

Here is a great quote my freind just sent me, and i definitley agree with it.

Cheers
Now that's a post that deserves applause. We can all disagree without the world ending.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I agree.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:12 AM
VIP Member

I was quite vested in this election because of several things. Friends in the military, homosexual acquaintances that I feel should have the right to be united with the person of their choosing, people having the right to do whatever they choose with their body even if it disagrees with my beliefs, and finally, funds that go to education.

While I make an excellent salary for a person of my age, the funds for my job (administrator for a school district) is on "soft money." From year to year, I am not guaranteed that I will have a job for the next contract year. It is all based on funds budgeted by the government. Honestly, with Bush, I've seen our system of public education decline. I am afraid this pattern will continue. Not just for my job, but for the future of our kids who can't afford private schools.

I was also very much involved in campaigning for the Democratic candidate for the gubernatorial seat for my state (Utah). The Republican winner plans on yanking funds out of public schools and this scares me.

So, unfortunately for me, this election very well may have an effect on my life. Life goes on, of course. But I would be lying if I said I'm not concerned for the next four years.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:46 AM

Utah voted to ban gay marriage. Not very surprising considering the prevelance of members of the Mormon church. "people having the right to do whatever they choose with their body even if it disagrees with my beliefs" what exactly are you refferring to?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by deyes
Utah voted to ban gay marriage. Not very surprising considering the prevelance of members of the Mormon church.
I never did understand Mormons....You can have 10 wives but being homosexual is against God's word.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
I never did understand Mormons....You can have 10 wives but being homosexual is against God's word.
The Mormon church does not endorse polygamy, if you're a member practicing plural marriage then you will be ex communicated (kicked out of the church).
In thier defense there were many instances in the Bible where prophets and others had more than one wife, on occasions the commandment for them to wed more than one wife came directly from God. In both the instance of polygamy and their stance on homosexuality both were apparent revelations from God, or so Mormons believe. Whats not to understand?

Last edited by deyes; 11-03-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:09 PM

Its slang for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Much of "Mormon" church doctorine comes from a book called the Book of Mormon. It tells the story of a civilization on the North American continent founded by a prophet and his family that came from Jerusalem before it was destroyed and the Visitation of christ to these people and and various prophecies and revelations from God to the prophets of these people. Mormons believe that this book was made known to the first prophet of their church (Joseph Smith) at the age of 16 by a resurrected being named Moroni I believe and he later retrieved the book at the messengers instruction and translated it with instruments also found with the book. They also believe in a living prophet and have a quorum of apostles, twelve to be exact.

Last edited by deyes; 11-03-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM

Apparently the book is an abridgement of a much larger book. The form of the book before it was translated was said to be golden plates.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by deyes
Utah voted to ban gay marriage. Not very surprising considering the prevelance of members of the Mormon church. "people having the right to do whatever they choose with their body even if it disagrees with my beliefs" what exactly are you refferring to?
Abortion.

Wow, deyes. You know more about mormons than I do and I've lived in the state my whole life.

Last edited by njc200; 11-03-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
Let's take a look at what happened yesterday...

In 2000 we had Dubya & Albert A. Gore, Jr.... Gore being the man that lost the election but seized the popular vote by a relatively thin margin.

Here's the difference for the popular vote of 2000: 0.51% with a 543,895 spread of voters between the Democrat and Republican candidates.

How many people voted in 2000: 104,338,854

Now let's talk about 2004 in relation to 2000, shall we?

Here's the difference for the popular vote of 2004: 3.00% with a current 3,530,818 spread of voters between the Democrat and Republican candidates -along- with ballots still being counted.

How many people voted in 2004 thus far: 114,052,716 total voters!

A staggering difference of 9,713,862 voters since 2000... enough people to fill Wrigley field 250 times over! These "hopeful voters" voted in favor of Bush with a +2.49% popular vote difference going in the opposite direction of the Democrats. A staggering & historical feat that has ultimately led to a future Kerry concession speech & little chance for any legal battles...

I'm assuming this increase of voters were the youthful Kerry voters I kept hearing about whenever a pro-Bush poll was posted here but whatever...

So what happened here?

And what do you honestly expect to happen in the next 4 years?
Three words

black box voting

http://www.blackboxvoting.com/

(as one might expect- their server is real busy today)

Quick Reply: The breakdown in perspective & predictions.