Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Abandon ship -or- unusual strategy

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 11:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Question Abandon ship -or- unusual strategy

A lot has happened in last few weeks with the GOP. Powell and Rumsfeld recently admitting that there weren't any solid ties with Iraq and al Qaeda and loose ties with WMD. In addition, U.S. Weapons Inspectors recently discounted the Iraqi Arms Threat in claiming Saddam did disarm in the early nineties and that Saddam Hussein didn't vigorously pursue a program to develop weapons of mass destruction after international inspectors left Baghdad in 1998.

What's going on here? Why are the Sec. of State and Defense coming out with this type of potentially damning information?

Are they trying to come out with this information as some type of unconventional strategy -or- are they throwing in the towel?

Last edited by Salty; 10-06-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:18 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Sometimes it just dawns on people, wrong is wrong.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Wow! This is completely unconventional!

Brace yourselves, everybody! The Truth!!!

This administration is finally telling the truth to the American people!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I think Powell coming out with this admission was iminent... Rummy was a bit more of a surprise. I am going to side more with abandoning ship. It is becoming more and more obvious that information was flawed, either through independant reports or those lower on the todem pole, so this is just a way to save face. No reason in continuing to lie when people have already discovered the truth. I can't imagine this is going to help Bush in the polls. I don't know if I should be happy that this will potentially hurt Bush, or sad that so many of us were misled (whether intentionally or not).

-Chris
Old 10-06-2004, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by njc200
Wow! This is completely unconventional!

Brace yourselves, everybody! The Truth!!!

This administration is finally telling the truth to the American people!
You joke about this but I think it may appeal to the vast amount of voters that will forgive the GOP for lying.

Mrs. Johnson will say, "God forgives you, Rummy," and goes to the polls with that thought?!

Maybe that's the strategy?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
Mrs. Johnson will say, "God forgives you, Rummy," and goes to the polls with that thought?!

Maybe that's the strategy?

Then Mrs. Johnson needs here head examined. If this is a special strategey, it is a desperate one.

-Chris
Old 10-06-2004, 11:59 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Then Mrs. Johnson needs here head examined. If this is a special strategey, it is a desperate one.

-Chris
I agree.

I guess we'll see after/if Bush is re-elected based on if Rumsfeld and Powell stick around or not.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:12 PM

Powell is gone if Bush is re-elected, I thought he stated that a while back? Rumsfeld is a bit of a suprise to come out admiting this at this time. Really bad time to finally admit your wrong, should of done it months ago. I think their base would of been more "supportive" had they.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
I agree.

I guess we'll see after/if Bush is re-elected based on if Rumsfeld and Powell stick around or not.
IF Bush is re-elected, my bet would be that neither stays on. Powell just seems to have too many disagreements and Rummy is too much of a loose cannon. I think the only reason they have been kept on board for the time being is to give an image of solidarity. Start canning you people and the public will quickly catch wind that something is wrong.

-Chris
Old 10-06-2004, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
IF Bush is re-elected, my bet would be that neither stays on. Powell just seems to have too many disagreements and Rummy is too much of a loose cannon. I think the only reason they have been kept on board for the time being is to give an image of solidarity. Start canning you people and the public will quickly catch wind that something is wrong.

-Chris
Right.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Rummie's recent admittance is most surprising, especially considering the debates at hand.

Talk about cannon fodder.

If the premise is true that they are trying to show that the GOP are not a bunch of lying bastards, then Cheney should have fessed up in the debate to some degree.

Instead, we get the same spin that "the world is safer without Saddam...", all the while deftly avoiding the main issues: no connection between Osama and Saddam, as well as no WMDs to speak of
Old 10-07-2004, 08:41 AM
VIP Member

Here's more evidence of those two abandoning ship

Cheney has taken the other side:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041007/D85IL4VG1.html

MIAMI (AP) - Vice President Dick Cheney asserted on Thursday that a report by the chief U.S. weapons inspector in Iraq, who found no evidence that Iraq produced weapons of mass destruction after 1991, justifies rather than undermines President Bush's decision to go to war.