springs & sways

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
springs & sways

ok so... i really need to get some springs put on... like soon.
i've got a set of rims sitting in my closet just itching to be put on, but i don't want no nasty fender gap. i've decided to go with the rallitek springs, but i wanted to ask ppl's opinion on if i should go with f&r sways as well.

i'm not going to be autoxing (right now anyway), and i might even end up trading in for a 2011 once they're out and i know the full deal on them (prices & whatnot).
Old 04-11-2010, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
If you're going to trade it, you may not want to invest money into your current car. Leave it stock and save up for more mods when you've got the new model.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Car Info: 2010 STI
Thumbs up Rear sways only at first..

There have been a lot of comments about lowering the car making the handling worse. From what I have read, no more than 1". Swift or RCE yellows seem like a good choice. This past weekend I installed the RCE Blacks (5mm drop). I don't need my car slammed, but I am not judging. I think you will need the whiteline anti lift kit to fix what dropping the car will do.

As for sways, I just ordered a RCE rear sway bar. This was based upon a lot of different input. GST recommended only needing to do the rears, they seemed to have the least amount of bias. My feeling is I want to fix the understeer the rear sway addresses this, if I think there is something missing then I will order the front. I have heard that adding rear sways will make the most dramatic difference/improvement in handling.

As for the RCE blacks: My review is mixed, I expected something more noticeable/dramatic. This is likely my own fault since I am so unsophisticated. The ride is very comfy. I was thinking my filling would be a little looser. Still, I think I like it.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
doesn't really seem like new sway bars are necessary if you just want to change the look of the car
Old 04-12-2010, 10:56 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
if you're thinking about getting sway bars to change the dynamics of your car, i would recommend them. i got bigger front and rear sway bars, and i really like them. pretty good bang for the buck
Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
agree, I would start with the rear sway if you want to mod this car. I heard front sways werent necessary since it causes over steering and doing just the rear evens this out.
DMO

fixed

Last edited by kwiksilverwrx; 12-10-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:06 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
springs suck. invest in coilovers
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 09 WRB WRX GE Premium
^ what were you running on again? cusco coils?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM

I first thought springs would have helped achieve a better look and performance, but I was wrong. Swift springs did lower the car while ruining the ride quality and [maybe] adding turnability. The pros did not make up for the cons.

Kicking myself in my ***, I remembered my buddy, BugEyeRex02, telling me to just go with Cusco Zero2 coilovers. So, I saved up the money, puchased them, and crossed the fingers. They are the all time best investment I made so far. Everyone can say, "My springs feel great...," but they haven't drove that same car on coilovers, and it is a night a day difference.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by kwiksilverwrx
agree, I would start with the rear sway if you want to mod this car. I heard front sways were necessary since it causes over steering and doing just the rear evens this out.
DMO
A larger front sway bar will cause the car to (feel like) understeer. Increasing the diameter of the rear bar will make the car more neutral and more inclined to oversteer.

OP,I feel there are pros and cons to doing the front only. But I suggest you actually drive a car with different settings and see what suits you.
Originally Posted by ScoobySon
springs suck. invest in coilovers
Different strokes for different folks
Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 09 WRB WRX GE Premium
im still debating on whether to get springs or coils myself.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Car Info: STi 2008
Originally Posted by JaysImpreza
im still debating on whether to get springs or coils myself.
If you have the money for coils then do IT! Personally, I do not. So i just bought Tein S.Tech Springs.
I've heard good and bad reviews about them. But i bought them brand new for 125!! (: $$$$
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pactin
A larger front sway bar will cause the car to (feel like) understeer. Increasing the diameter of the rear bar will make the car more neutral and more inclined to oversteer.

OP,I feel there are pros and cons to doing the front only. But I suggest you actually drive a car with different settings and see what suits you.

Different strokes for different folks
I rode in the older subies and springs seem fine, put them on the newer gens, good luck with that...
Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Get springs if you have the option to get struts as well. At this point in time, there are no strut options for the 08+ models. So right now the best bet for 08+ would be to get coilovers.

I made the mistake of getting lowering springs for my '09. Although they are Swifts and they are really nice, the lack of damping with the stock struts sucks *** and ruins everything.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2010 STI
RCE blacks have worked very well for me.

I am glad I didn't go the swift spring option.

Quick Reply: springs & sways