i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-231/)
-   -   springs & sways (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-231/springs-sways-217997/)

mokeOne 04-11-2010 12:18 AM

springs & sways

ok so... i really need to get some springs put on... like soon.
i've got a set of rims sitting in my closet just itching to be put on, but i don't want no nasty fender gap. i've decided to go with the rallitek springs, but i wanted to ask ppl's opinion on if i should go with f&r sways as well.

i'm not going to be autoxing (right now anyway), and i might even end up trading in for a 2011 once they're out and i know the full deal on them (prices & whatnot).

eclipsefirenos 04-11-2010 04:03 PM

If you're going to trade it, you may not want to invest money into your current car. Leave it stock and save up for more mods when you've got the new model.

Fiddler's Green 04-12-2010 07:53 PM

Rear sways only at first..

There have been a lot of comments about lowering the car making the handling worse. From what I have read, no more than 1". Swift or RCE yellows seem like a good choice. This past weekend I installed the RCE Blacks (5mm drop). I don't need my car slammed, but I am not judging. I think you will need the whiteline anti lift kit to fix what dropping the car will do.

As for sways, I just ordered a RCE rear sway bar. This was based upon a lot of different input. GST recommended only needing to do the rears, they seemed to have the least amount of bias. My feeling is I want to fix the understeer the rear sway addresses this, if I think there is something missing then I will order the front. [B]I have heard that adding rear sways will make the most dramatic difference/improvement in handling.[/B]

As for the RCE blacks: My review is mixed, I expected something more noticeable/dramatic. This is likely my own fault since I am so unsophisticated. The ride is very comfy. I was thinking my filling would be a little looser. Still, I think I like it.

donkeykong 04-12-2010 10:54 PM

doesn't really seem like new sway bars are necessary if you just want to change the look of the car

donkeykong 04-12-2010 10:56 PM

if you're thinking about getting sway bars to change the dynamics of your car, i would recommend them. i got bigger front and rear sway bars, and i really like them. pretty good bang for the buck

kwiksilverwrx 04-13-2010 12:51 PM

agree, I would start with the rear sway if you want to mod this car. I heard front sways [B]werent[/B] necessary since it causes over steering and doing just the rear evens this out.
DMO

fixed :)

ScoobySon 04-17-2010 01:06 AM

springs suck. invest in coilovers

JaysImpreza 04-20-2010 09:15 PM

^ what were you running on again? cusco coils?

ScoobySon 04-25-2010 08:57 PM

I first thought springs would have helped achieve a better look and performance, but I was wrong. Swift springs did lower the car while ruining the ride quality and [maybe] adding turnability. The pros did not make up for the cons.

Kicking myself in my ass, I remembered my buddy, BugEyeRex02, telling me to just go with Cusco Zero2 coilovers. So, I saved up the money, puchased them, and crossed the fingers. They are the all time best investment I made so far. Everyone can say, "My springs feel great...," but they haven't drove that same car on coilovers, and it is a night a day difference.

Pactin 04-25-2010 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=kwiksilverwrx;2854212]agree, I would start with the rear sway if you want to mod this car. I heard front sways were necessary since it causes over steering and doing just the rear evens this out.
DMO[/QUOTE]
A larger front sway bar will cause the car to (feel like) understeer. Increasing the diameter of the rear bar will make the car more neutral and [I]more inclined[/I] to oversteer.

OP,I feel there are pros and cons to doing the front only. But I suggest you actually drive a car with different settings and see what suits you.
[QUOTE=ScoobySon;2856388]springs suck. invest in coilovers[/QUOTE]

Different strokes for different folks :p

JaysImpreza 04-25-2010 09:15 PM

im still debating on whether to get springs or coils myself. :confused:

AlanNgo7 04-27-2010 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=JaysImpreza;2861137]im still debating on whether to get springs or coils myself. :confused:[/QUOTE]

If you have the money for coils then do IT! Personally, I do not. So i just bought Tein S.Tech Springs.
I've heard good and bad reviews about them. But i bought them brand new for 125!! (: $$$$

ScoobySon 04-28-2010 03:11 AM

[QUOTE=Pactin;2861136]A larger front sway bar will cause the car to (feel like) understeer. Increasing the diameter of the rear bar will make the car more neutral and [I]more inclined[/I] to oversteer.

OP,I feel there are pros and cons to doing the front only. But I suggest you actually drive a car with different settings and see what suits you.

Different strokes for different folks :p[/QUOTE]

I rode in the older subies and springs seem fine, put them on the newer gens, good luck with that...

JourdanWithaU 04-28-2010 04:23 AM

Get springs if you have the option to get struts as well. At this point in time, there are no strut options for the 08+ models. So right now the best bet for 08+ would be to get coilovers.

I made the mistake of getting lowering springs for my '09. Although they are Swifts and they are really nice, the lack of damping with the stock struts sucks ass and ruins everything.

Fiddler's Green 04-28-2010 09:12 PM

RCE blacks have worked very well for me.

I am glad I didn't go the swift spring option.