Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Your alignment... looking to set mine up for agressive street and light track days.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Your alignment... looking to set mine up for agressive street and light track days.

Hi all,

I am going to have my alignment done after installing new control arms from Perrin as well as Perrin's PSRS (Positive Stearing Response System) and was wondering how you all recomend the alignment settings.

Here is my plan:

Camber in front: -1.5
Camber in Rear: -1.2

Toe front: 0
Toe rear: 0

Just wondering what you all have...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:20 PM

those are probably ok, I have an 04 sti and I run 1 degree in the front w/ no toe and the back straight up. I have done this for a compromise b/t track day and tread wear. having all your settings neg'd out will not allow you to rotate your tires and wear them out evenly. I actually have the stockers for track days and run some enkies black rims w/ slightly taller 50 series rubber for day to day driving. If you are real aggressive all to time maybe neg'd out is for you but at the track you really need race compound tires to use the camber and heat your tires evenly. fyi
Old 01-24-2006, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
On the flip side of what Doug posted is my setup:

-2.5 camber up front, -1.7 in the rear, 0 toe all the way around.

I run R compounds on the track and an agressive street tire (Azensi RT615's). My STi is not a daily driver so I'm not as concerned about tire wear.

If you're looking for a compromise, then the settings you posted should work. I would go with -1.0 in the rear though (and you may not be able to get more than that anyway depending on your suspension setup).
Old 01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Egan
On the flip side of what Doug posted is my setup:

-2.5 camber up front, -1.7 in the rear, 0 toe all the way around.

I run R compounds on the track and an agressive street tire (Azensi RT615's). My STi is not a daily driver so I'm not as concerned about tire wear.

If you're looking for a compromise, then the settings you posted should work. I would go with -1.0 in the rear though (and you may not be able to get more than that anyway depending on your suspension setup).
Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza 2.5RS
I just had my car set up at Custom Alignment in Sunnyvale, ca. You can check them out at www.customalignment.com The technician, Kevin, sets up the SoobyDude's race car. At first I was skeptical of these settings:
-0.9 camber front 1/16 toe
-1.0 camber rear 1/16 toe

What I found at Laguna Seca last sunday was that the car had an amazing balance. Tire wear on sidewall was less than before when I ran setting closer to -1.4 front -.8 rear with 0 toe.
The car definitely handled a lot better.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by motorider888
I just had my car set up at Custom Alignment in Sunnyvale, ca. You can check them out at www.customalignment.com The technician, Kevin, sets up the SoobyDude's race car. At first I was skeptical of these settings:
-0.9 camber front 1/16 toe
-1.0 camber rear 1/16 toe

What I found at Laguna Seca last sunday was that the car had an amazing balance. Tire wear on sidewall was less than before when I ran setting closer to -1.4 front -.8 rear with 0 toe.
The car definitely handled a lot better.
Even with positive toe (front of the tires farther apart... right?) you had less tire wear??? Thats interesting... just walked out of the shop today with -1.7 camber in the front and -1.3 rear, zero toe all the way around. The car has great turn-in but was a bit sketchy on the freeways with ruts today... The car also has lots of caster after the addition of the Perrin PSRS (basically anti lift). Let me know how long term tire wear goes... is this a daily driver?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
Originally Posted by depdivr
Hi all,

I am going to have my alignment done after installing new control arms from Perrin
Has Perrin finaly finished their control arms? I guess they havent updated their website.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lovesmysuby04
Has Perrin finaly finished their control arms? I guess they havent updated their website.
I believe they are on the verge of product release. We (the guys at PDX Tuning, the Perrin Marketing guy and I) tried to install the very first set on my car day before yesterday with camera in place for web site shots. We had some minor issues which created a delay for the instal so I can't comment on their performance yet. They certainly look beefy and I am stoked to get them installed on my STI ASAP!!!

Like I said before, we were able to get the Perrin PSRS installed day before yesterday and yielded outstanding results. You notice a major difference in your handling as you rip the car out of turns at high throttle. Before, I would see significant push (understear) as I accelerated out of turns even though I had already tuned with swaybars to give a slight overstear and sharp turn in at the begining of the turn. With the PSRS, I am able to accelerate earlier in the turn without worry of pushing the car off the track after the apex. Overall rating: Thumbs Up!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:53 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I had an -ahem- unorthodox alignment on my Suby. -2 degrees front, -2.5 rear, 3/16 toe out front, 1/8 toe out rear. The car turned in very quickly and stuck. The toe out made the rear want to rotate without sliding, and the camber kept the tires planted when cornering. It was actually a very neutral but grippy setup.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
I had an -ahem- unorthodox alignment on my Suby. -2 degrees front, -2.5 rear, 3/16 toe out front, 1/8 toe out rear. The car turned in very quickly and stuck. The toe out made the rear want to rotate without sliding, and the camber kept the tires planted when cornering. It was actually a very neutral but grippy setup.
Tire wear? Sounds like your getting close to GT specs... a set of tires a track day type setting.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Nah, I had a set of Dunlop WinterSport M2s last 30,000 miles with that alignment, almost entirely on dry highways. I had a habit of sliding and drifting and generally mistreating my track/autocross tires, but they always lasted me quite a while. I only totally wore out one set of tires, and that was with the factory alignment, which caused me to spec this one. It was the only alignment I ever got actually. There are two theorys that could explain my good tire wear. One is the "cone" theory- properly combining toe out with extra camber makes rolling the wheel kind of like rolling a very shallow cone. The other is that by driving hard frequently and using all that camber and toe, then during the driving that really wears on the car the contact patch is mostly flat anyway.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Nah, I had a set of Dunlop WinterSport M2s last 30,000 miles with that alignment, almost entirely on dry highways. I had a habit of sliding and drifting and generally mistreating my track/autocross tires, but they always lasted me quite a while. I only totally wore out one set of tires, and that was with the factory alignment, which caused me to spec this one. It was the only alignment I ever got actually. There are two theorys that could explain my good tire wear. One is the "cone" theory- properly combining toe out with extra camber makes rolling the wheel kind of like rolling a very shallow cone. The other is that by driving hard frequently and using all that camber and toe, then during the driving that really wears on the car the contact patch is mostly flat anyway.
very cool, thanks mate