Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

What setup is good for an STi to improve ride Q?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dahveed
I've also heard that the STi suspension feels less harsh ironically with the installation of the stiffer, JDM "Pink" springs on the stock struts.

The stock struts were valved for use with the pinks, so with the stock springs it's harsh and bouncy.
I don't think it's the valving so much as it is the drop in ride height. My theory is the stock STi springs are putting the struts in an area of travel they weren't designed to operate in. This is what gives the USDM STi that harsh initial response despite the springs being very soft. Just a theory but as good as any other.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by EMOE3
I don't think it's the valving so much as it is the drop in ride height. My theory is the stock STi springs are putting the struts in an area of travel they weren't designed to operate in. This is what gives the USDM STi that harsh initial response despite the springs being very soft. Just a theory but as good as any other.
I might have to disagree, since these struts are designed to work with the spec C pinks as well which are even 1/2" lower and a bit stiffer too,
Old 08-09-2004, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by razorlab

Time to take care of that.
You got that right!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
I might have to disagree, since these struts are designed to work with the spec C pinks as well which are even 1/2" lower and a bit stiffer too,
That's exactly what I mean. I guess I wasn't very clear. The stock springs are riding 1/2" higher than the struts' intended range of travel. Therefore, they are working in an area of initial travel that is very harsh.

I don't think it's really the spring rate change as other people have stated. It's really not that significant a difference. Plus, when springs are mismatched in rate it means either a) the springs are too stiff for the damping (usually rebound) and the struts can't control the spring, or b) the springs are too soft for the damping rate and they have a tendancy to "pack-down" over bumpy surfaces eventually forcing the suspension on the bumpstops.

Since the pinks are higher rate than the OEM springs it would have to be "b" when we are talking about OEM springs. However, the stock suspension seems to have all the harshness in initial travel which means it hasn't packed-down when you get that harshness.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:21 PM

Some on the other suby board are saying that as the shocks compress or shorter a bit they firm up, meaning less bouncy. Try riding with a bunch of heavy friends in the car and see how it is. But I plan on upgraded to pink springs. From everything i've read the do offer slightly better ride quality with improved performance.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:28 PM

also the new prodrives just came out which are supposed to be a bit nicer ride too and make a more even drop than the spec Cs

Old 08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Egan
Vaporware?
If not I bet its made of unobtanium, hell you'll have to pay a few grand just for the Pro-drive name on the box it ships in, that is- if it isn't vaproware....
Old 08-09-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by psoper
If not I bet its made of unobtanium, hell you'll have to pay a few grand just for the Pro-drive name on the box it ships in, that is- if it isn't vaproware....
from their website which has listed it since before the SEMA show in November...

"under development"