i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/)
-   -   What setup is good for an STi to improve ride Q? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/what-setup-good-sti-improve-ride-q-64830/)

jdinjax 07-06-2004 04:12 PM

What setup is good for an STi to improve ride Q?

Hi all, I have a STi that is starting to make my bones hurt. Are there any good suspension comprimises out there? something that will soften it up a bit, but still provide good handling characteristics?

As always, thanks for the intel.

Krinkov 07-06-2004 09:02 PM

boy did you buy the wrong car!:D

I thought STI was too soft when I bought it, so Im just the opposite.
Your not going to find any aftermarket softer springs for the STI or WRX so you will probably have to swap WRX springs and struts onto your car which would be a shame and a waste and will make your STI just look goofy:(

Egan 07-07-2004 06:52 AM

Generally speaking, softening the suspension does not equal good handling. What in particular don't you like about the STi suspension. Is it over certain types of road, or at certain speeds? Give us some more details so we can help point you in the right direction.

I agree with Krinkov that the STi is too damn soft as it is. We got ripped on the spring rates because Subaru thought us lazy Americans wanted Cadillac ride in our sports cars. :p The car should have come with pink springs.

That being said, I think it's time for coilovers. Body roll is bad m'kay:
[img]http://gotbluemilk.com/040625/70/HT4U4246.jpg[/img]
[img]http://gotbluemilk.com/040625/70/HT4U2913.jpg[/img]

jdinjax 07-07-2004 08:00 AM

I guess the best way to describe it is it has a tendacy to be "bouncy" over certain road types (highways with slightly irregular surfacing at speeds greater than 65). As for the rest of the suspension characteristics, I have no real complaints. Thank you for any recommendations......

Egan 07-07-2004 08:15 AM

Ah yes the bouncy ride, especially over concrete bridges and causeways. We have one of these that connects Sacramento and Davis, Kalifornia. My WRX with coilovers would bounce like a pogo stick. The STi does it as well, but to a lot less degree (I'm just de-sensatized from my previous experience). My truck does it too and from what I can tell, so does every other vehicle I see on that stretch of road.

What was the previous vehicle you drove over that stretch of road and how did the bounce compare?

To get back to your original question, I think Krinkov answered it. While you may be able to find softer springs or replace the entire suspension, the effect on the overall handling of the car when not on these types of bouncy roads will be horrendous. I hate to tell you that you just have to live with the bounce, but in reality that is the only option.

Krinkov 07-07-2004 08:34 AM

almost forgot, the best way to get rid of quite a bit of ride harhness and actually improve handling a bit is to get rid of those rock-hard stock bridgestones:eek:

buddy of mine who tracks his car often swapped them out for the new Pilot Sport 2s and said they rode and handled better than the bridgstones;)

Egan 07-07-2004 08:38 AM

Very true ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Plus it will cut down on the noise! :)

LagnWagn 07-12-2004 09:58 PM

I have a pair of Falken ST115's for street driving only, and that really smoothed/ softened out the street ride. They are super quiet too...I'd try changing tires before changing suspension.

Grintch 07-14-2004 10:22 AM

Many people think that the STi shock and springs are mismatched (shocks are too stiff for the springs), leading to some of the suspension harshness. This supports some peoples reports of a better or smililar ride quality with stiffer aftermarket springs. If the shocks/struts are too stiff, going to a softer (WRX) spring will not help.

The Whiteline Group4 coilovers were supposedly developed with a good street ride in mind and have fairly mild spring rates for a coilover, less stiction, and better shock/spring match. Not many out there yet, but the couple of reviews I have seen were very positive. As I am not happy with the stock ride, and need better performance and adjustability for autocrossing, I am planning to upgrade to a set of Group4s eventually (after wheels & tires & seats).

Kostamojen 07-14-2004 10:23 AM

Get a rally designed coilover setup :p That should help, LOL!

crex 07-15-2004 06:36 AM

or you can go with the new electronic suspension that prodrive is coming out with its softens the ride under non spirited driving, i have not heard the latest on its release does anyone know?

Egan 07-15-2004 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=crex]or you can go with the new electronic suspension that prodrive is coming out with its softens the ride under non spirited driving, i have not heard the latest on its release does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

Vaporware?

Kostamojen 07-15-2004 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=Egan]Vaporware?[/QUOTE]
It exists, I think...

Seraph 08-01-2004 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=Krinkov]almost forgot, the best way to get rid of quite a bit of ride harhness and actually improve handling a bit is to get rid of those rock-hard stock bridgestones:eek:

buddy of mine who tracks his car often swapped them out for the new Pilot Sport 2s and said they rode and handled better than the bridgstones;)[/QUOTE]

I just swapped to some michelin pilot sport ps2's, and they are a lil more comfortable because their sidewall is a bit softer than 070's.......now i'm wishing i didn't get them cuz i'm not used to soft sidewalls =P Rolled on s0-3's eversince my 02' wagon and then moved on to the 070's on the STi. The turn-in is a bit quicker but when i weaved to test them the sidewalls wiggled a bit. Once you're all loaded in a turn though the tires are very nice.

Group B 08-04-2004 01:42 AM

I've also heard that the STi suspension feels less harsh ironically with the installation of the stiffer, JDM "Pink" springs on the stock struts.

The stock struts were valved for use with the pinks, so with the stock springs it's harsh and bouncy.

Another thing to look into would be the TEIN HG coilovers. They're meant for rallying, so they feel smooth over rough terrain, paved or unpaved.