Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

unholy bounce.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
unholy bounce.

holy crap. I've had my car up to speeds pretty high and it felt kinda unstable.

Well I have 17's on my car now so I hoped it would help some. It's worse. I hit a clean stretch this morning with a motorcycle next to me. Lets just say he didn't pass me.
(no lectures please...there was nobody around)

anyways..my car bounced so much that I thought I was gonna start hopping.

I'm looking into suspension> Until this happened I was pretty set on just getting some STI pink wagon specific springs and keeping my struts. Now I'm thinking I might want more.

I'm looking at V7 JDM STI wagon springs and struts with some group N top hats.
How do you think that would work out for an 04 wagon.

My issue is that i drive a LOT. my car is a 14months old and over 30k miles. On top of that I am an avid snowboarder. I'd say on average I spend about 40 days up in snow territory a winter. (this year I have a knee injury so non until next month). Saying that.....I need decent ground clearence. I'll be running my stock wheels with winter tires on them a lot of the time I'm up there. I like to get into it in the snow and the dirt so I can't be slammed.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Just curious... what tires are you on?

I was looking at getting v7 STI wagon takeoffs too, but I don't know if I want to buy new rear hats. I also hear that it doesn't lower the car. But I hear the ride is awesome.

You might also want to look into finding some JDM V8 inverted wagon struts. I bet they would be sweet with the wagon specific pinks.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 04 Wagon 5mt
Army:
I have an 04 with 50k miles (in one year). I have stock springs but whiteline ALK in front and whiteline sway in the rear.
I am cupping my 17" tires in the rear, I suspect the struts are worn out.
I also have a worse ride than I did before...

In short I think the stock struts can't go for more than about 25k miles before they start to seriously degrade, even with my mild mods.

c77
Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Get a friend to stand on the side of the road of that stretch and take pics of you hopping

I think you would see the difference with springs and a rear sway and a rear strut tower.

You will feel the difference with the strut spring combo, you will never feel that hop again (unless under extreme extreme circumstances)

Rush
Old 12-06-2004, 01:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I would have someone take pictures....but it's highway...I'll talk to justin and see if he can follow me in his wagon and take video.

it's seriously out of control.

He followed me around a bend the other day...said it looked like I was gonna tip over I had so much body lean.

definately need to fix this pronto..new rear sway...new suspension.

I am on AVS ES100's. Standard subydude set up. rota SDR's
They actually grip surprisingly well. Only thing I don't like about them is that they are pretty loud and they tend to track a bit more than I like.

I'll check out the inverted struts.

The wagon set up..stock. JDM v7...lower about a half inch all the way around...least that's what I've been told. The sti wagon spring go down about another half inch.

I don't really care about being lower...I mean a half inch to an inch would be nice ...but no more than that. And being level would be sweet. I am more concerned about getting rid of the bounce and the body lean. Firm up the ride..

The bounce is just rediculous. I mean I've always felt the stock suspension was not right. Just seemed oversprung or something. Always had this weird bounce...but it's just getting worse and worse. I am to the point now where I HATE it.

I mean...I am a bit spoiled...I came from a honda civic that was stiff as hell...but shoot..even with as stiff as my set up was..it was a way more comfortable ride.

I need to do something...and soon.