Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB wrx
suspension questions

im looking into improving the handling of my car, can i get some info off you guys about what you have and what im looking at, so right now im looking at tein super street coilovers, and the megan racing street series coilover damper kit
thanks for the feedback guys
Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
Hey man there is a lot you can do in terms of upgrading your suspension.

These are great threads to look at. If I were you I would read them and get more of an understanding of what everything does and then decide how crazy you wanna go with the upgrades.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920405

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911257

Is this for auto x? track days? or just daily driving or some kind of combo of them?

This is important to know because you can spend a TON of money on your car's suspension and a lot of it for just daily driving is not necessary.

Most common mods

springs
coilovers
sway bars

In my opinion, if you aren't auto x'ing or doing track days, installing coilovers is not the way to go. If this is just for daily driving then i would go with some sway bars to stiffen the roll a bit

I would recommend whiteline sway bars and whiteline endlinks atleast for the rear sway bar.

for the front and rear your looking at 175 ish each and then the rear endlinks are around 100?? Not 100% on the price

I paid 150 each for the sways and then 100 for the rear endlinks.

A lot of ppl like the lowered look on their car (who doesn't) but lowering your car puts a lot of strain on the stock struts so they tend to make the struts blow out faster. With that said I wouldn't really consider springs. I have heard that some lowering springs are built to work with the stock struts but I havent heard too much on whether this is true or not.

Coilovers are the best if you are doing auto x on the weekends or track days. They aren't so great for daily driving, some are o-k, but they are really designed for racing than daily driving.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any other questions.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB wrx
true, i will probably end up auto x a couple time every few months when i have the time and money to go, so but it is my dd and it doesnt have to be a crazy track beast or anything, just something i can have some fun with onn weekends cause i hvae some nice windy moiuntains i like to drive on
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
^^ yea, at the moment I am running stock suspension but with front and rear sway bars and endlinks is pretty good. I do a lot of auto x so I'd like to get coilovers but i dont have the money for it yet.

I forgot to mention that the best "suspension mod" is tires.

For auto x I would recommend falken rt-615s they are considered the best bang for your buck auto x tire.

here's a link.

http://vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

i'm pretty sure these come with free tire totes too!!

I have these tires for auto x and they are awesome. A lot of guys have mixed opinions on tires. You can find tons and tons of reviews for different tires.

I would say your going to find the biggest difference with a new set of tires.

So i take back what i said about the sways, if i were you i would get a new set of tires.

If you have the money, the best thing to do is have a set of tires for DD and then a set of tires for auto x because auto x EATS through tires a lot.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx, 05 Elise, 14 Impreza, 17 brz coming soon
my opinion for you from what i read:

unless you want to get into some serious competition,
-buy some cheap coilovers (helix or megan) will be a bit stiff for dd though.
-attach larger swaybars in the front and rear of the car
-buy some performance summer tires.
personally i hated the falken azenis 615, but then i have different standards than most. they heated up well, but gets greasy and starts slipping over time if you dont water them down..speaking from auto-x point of view.
dunlops direzza z1 star specs <--i will continue to swear by these tires.
especially for the price! and they are symetrical for flipping them.
-lasty alignment. camber bolts where you need them, set your plates, and dial in some negative camber for the fronts. for auto-x minimize camber in the rear for rotation.
-oh yeah tire pressure. find the right pressures for your driving. very important in how the car will respond to your driving style. my dunlops loved high pressures.