Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Rounded off hex nuts on StopTech calipers, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 08:44 AM

Rounded off hex nuts on StopTech calipers, what should I do?

I was trying to take out the two hex bolts that hold the bridge into place above the pads and ended up rounding off one nut on each caliper. Is there any special tool that one can use to get a grip on them? I thought these would be harder to round.
Can I just ignore them and replace the pads from the inside of the caliper or is it necessary to take the bridge out and drop the pads in through the gap? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:18 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
re: rounded off hex nuts on Stop Tech calipers, what should i do?

go to sears. they make and sell nut removal tools for rounded off nuts. basically, it's a normal looking socket that has sharp teeth on the inside to grip the rounded off edges of the nut without harming the stud or bolt that the nut is threaded onto, like a nut splitter would.
depening on how much torque was applied to the nuts to get them on in the first place, you might need to get the nut removers designed for use with a pneumatic impact wrench.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:54 PM

DZeck, thanks for the offer, maybe I'll take you up on it after my swap, a bit busy right now. I used a 5mm key and it was in there, they were just really really tight. I bought them used, but I would have put anti-seize if I was the original owner. First thing I did when I got the other two out was put antiseize on them.