Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

replacing rotors for 02 wrx weekend grinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:10 AM

replacing rotors for 02 wrx weekend grinder

I warped my right front rotor on my stock 02 wrx on a weekend high speed back road drive. my brake pads are 80% good but I want to replace my front rotors and pads. I have been trying to research what to get but have not been able to come to any conclusion. I am hoping you guys can help out.

I dont have a lot of cash so i have been doing real nice summer tires on stock rims, so I am not able to afford replacing my rims and getting big rotors, but I was recently talked into joining a track club that meets a couple times a month.

I was looking at slotted rotors but all the warnings about them + track have me a bit timid, but considering i cooked up my front end on a street i am thinking of backing off on them although i love the look.

At the time I had been looking at brembo replacements but their stock is low and the frozen rotors and powerslot cryo-rotors seem pretty good. I have been looking at Hawk HP Plus Race brake pads for upgraded brakes, but ceramic sounds good but ive been told to stay away before.

Any recommendations for a guy wanting to improve braking and heat management while staying very much stock for financial reasons? ( I bought my car too early... the longing for an STi is so great)
Old 07-10-2006, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 2.5RS pacifica blue with black Tarmacs
One good way to increase brake feel and fade resistance on a budget is to go with some S.S. flex lines like Goodridge (approx. $100) and synthetic fluid like Motul 600 (approx. $15). As far as pads go check out the brake pad thread. It has lots of info.

Lastly whatever pads you decide on make sure you bed them properly. The rotor "warping" is actually something called T.V. (Thickness Variation). It means that the pads have deposited an uneven layer of material on the rotor causing that pedal vibration that leads people to believe the rotors are warped. Cryo-treated rotors are less suseptable to cracking, but not T.V. It means that proper pad choice is critical.

If I were doing track days I might go so far as to get a set of rotors and race only pads for track time with a different set for the street, at least on the front anyway.
If you go this route remember that the pads and rotors should be labeled so they go on the same way they came off.
I wish there was a simpler way, but I've haven't came across a set of pads that do both street and track well yet.

Hope this adds to the solution and not the confusion.

-Sal
Old 07-19-2006, 11:09 AM

I put a brand new powerslot rotors front and rear, and then i put some axxis ultimate brake pads all around. I got all this for about 500 which is not bad compared to a big brake upgrade of like 14million dollars. Ive heard that the cryo treated rotors arent really that much impressive over stock on dissipating heat so dont waste your time. The feeling over stock with the slotted rotors and pads are a lot better then I orignally expected. I can take my car out all day and tear up the streets and still come home and not have to worry about warping my rotors
Old 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
I have the Stage 2 kit from stoptech www.stoptech.com, though it replaces all four corners (rotors, SS lines, pads (Axxis Ultimates), and brake fluid (motul 600), it was only $650 shipped> I installed everything except SS lines and replacing fluid, cost me an additional $100 to have that done/

Really good feel with the new setup. I drive a LOT of canyon runs and do a few track days here and there and this is the PERFECT setup for me...

And I have NEVER had to turn the discs once!!! I can't warp them, unlike my original WRX brakes that warped if I looked at them wrong.