Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Rear sway bar to help tire rub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 02 MBP wagon
Rear sway bar to help tire rub?

I got an 02 wagon sitting on JDM pink struts. Fairly low, but rides well. Wheels are 17x8, forgot the tire size..

On hard turns, my rear tires barely scrape the inner fender well. It hasn't cut my tires yet, but I imagine it would eventually. I have stock sways, and I was wondering if an aftermarket rear swaybar and endlinks would prevent the rub? 22mm, 24mm?

Don't necessarily want to roll the fenders..

any thoughts?

thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
how wide are the tires tho
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by silverbullet415
how wide are the tires tho
Remember now:

225/45/R17 tires.

The fender isnt rubbing the top of the tire, but rather the sidewall, so I believe if I can eliminate unnecessary shock travel on hard turns, I can eliminate the rub?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Car Info: Java Black 04' STI
Just for the performance advantage I would get sway bars. Although rolling your fenders should definately work and be less expensive. I'm surprised you're rubbing w/225's, must be your rim offset. Sway bar's should take enough of the lean out while hard cornering to help the situation.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM

How will only doing the rear sway affect overall handling? Is it wise to do F + R at the same time? Reasons? Evidence?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 wrx
i have 235 and a sedan (wider fenders then your wagon) on swift springs, and i was rubbing with and without sways bars, they didn't seem to help at all. Just go get your fender rolled its worth it. Also i am running just a rear whiteline bar and its awesome, helps out a lot with under steer.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by owencalouro
i have 235 and a sedan (wider fenders then your wagon) on swift springs, and i was rubbing with and without sways bars, they didn't seem to help at all. Just go get your fender rolled its worth it. Also i am running just a rear whiteline bar and its awesome, helps out a lot with under steer.
Yea I was thinking about going rear sway only. If I were to have my rear fenders rolled, where would I go? Or should I rent a roller and google it..?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by nolan
I got an 02 wagon sitting on JDM pink struts. Fairly low, but rides well. Wheels are 17x8, forgot the tire size..

On hard turns, my rear tires barely scrape the inner fender well. It hasn't cut my tires yet, but I imagine it would eventually. I have stock sways, and I was wondering if an aftermarket rear swaybar and endlinks would prevent the rub? 22mm, 24mm?

Don't necessarily want to roll the fenders..

any thoughts?

thanks.
Sway bars probably won't help you in this situation. Raise your car, or get your fenders rolled or pulled...

How will only doing the rear sway affect overall handling? Is it wise to do F + R at the same time? Reasons? Evidence?
By increasing your rear sway bar size, you'll be making your car more easy to rotate, or come out in the rear. As for your second question. It depends. Suspension is tricky. Not all cars are the same. Not all drivers are the same. Personally, change one thing at a time, and then figure where you want to go from there. If you are changing your rear sway bar, might as well upgrade endlinks and bushings as well.

Yea I was thinking about going rear sway only. If I were to have my rear fenders rolled, where would I go? Or should I rent a roller and google it..?
As far as I know, there are 3 places that offer fender rolling services. LIC Motorsports in Novato, Auto-HQ in Redwood City, and Mach III in San Bruno(?). Something like that.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Conclusion:

So as far as handling characteristics, the RSB made a world of difference. As expected, however, it did not completely eliminate the rub.

Fenders are getting rolled soon. Overall, for daily drivability, I couldnt be happier with my setup (Sti struts, tien springs, and perrin RSB 22mm)

Eventually, I'll swap springs, but that is how I bought them..