Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Question about new rotos

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Question Question about new rotos

I changed my front rotors yesterday on my 03 WRX to OEM sized Stoptech Slotted ones. I followed the break in procedure recommended by Stoptech for the rotors. Everything is working fine but I have noticed that there is a streak on both rotors in the middle of each that makes a complete circle on the rotor. It looks as if it is pad deposit but it is only in the middle part of each rotor. Is that normal, or did I fubar the installation?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 07 subaru wrx
I hope you just call Stoptech. No criticisms,but it amazes me how many times a guy will put out questions to the great unwashed masses on the web when the manufacturer is anxious and happy to answer questions.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM

I have an email in to Stoptech but have yet to receive an email. While a lot of the information that floats around should be taken with a grain of salt I have found that there are some pretty intelligent people on this board and I was hoping some of them could also provide some insight into this situation. I'm not saying that I would take their word as gospel but it is always nice to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM

That's a good and inteligent response.Any chance Stoptech has an 800 number?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM

I got a an email back today from the Stoptech rep I emailed. I don't have my digital camera with me as I'm away from home on a work project, forgot my camera at home, and could not take a picture of the rotors. I'll be heading home this weekend and I'll snap a picture of the rotors so he can take a look at the pad deposit on the rotors. I've just never seen this much pad deposit every other time I've put new pads on. There is pad deposit across the whole rotor just a heavy ring in the middle which strikes me as odd.

The Stoptech Rep's gut reaction is that there might be some imperfections in the pads that got transferred to the new rotors. Once he looks at the picture he'll be able to tell if it's something normal or if it's abnormal.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:20 PM

Well just as the Stoptech rep had thought the steaikng on the rotor was due to imperfections on the pad. The pads had somewhat bowed out so that there was more contact with the center of the pads which lead to higher pad deposits on the center of the rotor. That was the first time I've ever seen that happen I guess my lesson here is to just change to new pads when I put on new rotors.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Oh buddy here's a classic case of one person not providing enough information and the other person assuming something. I assumed you'd changed the pads with the rotors-because it's the only way to do it right. It brings me back in time to my metallurgy professor ,before every class he would write on top of the blackboard- assume = make an *** out of u and me. With *** u me underlined. You know a good review for me and a lesson you'll never forget or ignore. Glad it's solved. Good motoring to ya.