Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

lost wheel while driving, need to replace wheel studs (was: Had A Mishap)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 02 Blue Rex
Question lost wheel while driving, need to replace wheel studs (was: Had A Mishap)

Hey everyone, I was driving my 02 WRX and my lug nuts broke and the wheel went spinning off down the highway!!! I need to replace the wheel studs so I can get the wheel back on. I don't want to have it towed because the driver screwed it up already when he brought it home. He had to drag it across the ground to get it up on the truck bed...I don't even want to talk about him taking it down. The rotor is cool but the backing plate is toast. I need to know how to get the wheel studs out, the speed sensor makes it kind of hard to punch them out and I dont have a press. I can't get the plate that the studs go through off the car. Any ideas???? Please help me

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 AM

Car Info: 93 Impreza - SOLD
You don't have to take the rotor compeltely off.. but you can if you want to. All you have to do is unbolt the caliper and lift it off then pull the rotor right off. There's nothing holding it on. Then you can just hammer out the old and press in the new bolts.. or you can do it the easy way without removing the rotor....

"Front Wheel Bolt Replacement 02 WRX "
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2591

The summary...

Remove the top bolt from the caliper. Loosen the bottom bolt on the caliper. Using the bottom as a hinge pull the top of the caliper away from the rotor. Turn the hub so the broken bolt is lined up with the gap created when you moved the caliper and hammer the bolt through. With the hole lined up with the gap insert the replacement bolt from behind the rotor. Tighten an open-ended lug or a stock lug with a washer on the bolt to pull it completely through. Put the caliper back on and you're good to go.

Last edited by 93Impreza; 11-03-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Be sure to use a torque wrench when tightening the wheel lug nuts. Factory specifies 65.7 ft lbs. Do not oil the wheel stud threads. Overtightening can cause the studs to fail. Undertightening can have some disastrous results, too.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush