Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Koni/GC combo questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Koni/GC combo questions?

I have an 02 WRX sedan, I just bought some Koni’s and group N tops to go with my SPT springs but now I’m thinking about buying some Ground Control’s. I did a search and also tried to get some answers from Ground Control about what rates and length springs would work best with the Koni’s and the guy told me he couldn’t answer any questions unless I ordered a set.

My car is a daily driver that will see a couple autoX events a month and possibly a few track days (just for fun). I am looking for a setup that will work well with Koni’s (long life), even out the fender gaps, be fairly comfortable yet stiff enough for autoX and give me the ability to raise the car close to stock height just incase I decide to do some rallyX in the future. I think the lowest rate I want would be 300 ft/lbs and I’m guessing the front would need to be dropped around 1.5” and the rear around 1”.

1) Do you think a rate around 300 with Koni’s set to soft will be too stiff for a daily driver?

2) If I go with a 300ft/lb rear spring what rate should I go with on the front (325-350)?

3) With the drop and spring rates I want what length should I go with in the front and rear?

4) Will I need to do the D_REX modification to have the ideal compression stroke/bump travel http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602326?

5) Just how easy is it to accurately adjust ride height? Do you need to lift the corner, adjust, drop the car then measure over and over until you get it right or does 1 turn equal X amount of lift or drop?

6) What is coil bind?

7) Is there is a down side to running the rates and height I want with Koni’s set from full soft to the hardest setting.

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated so if you think something I am wanting will cause problems please speak up.

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by MO REX; 04-28-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Bump this thread up from the dead!!!

Looking of those same answers.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

I'm getting ready to go to bed right now but I'll try to find the time in the next few days to give you a lot of info on this set up. I've been running Koni's and ground controls for a long time now and I love it. My car is very competitive @ track days and autoX events.

Start off by giving me a priority list (comfort, performance or any other things that are important to you).

This will get you started. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761339
Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Hey

I was looking at the GC setup since I had it (with Bilstein shocks) on my VW Golf and loved it.
I still have the sleeves and springs (325lbs 8" fronts, 225lbs 10" rears).
My idea is maybe to try these springs on the Konis. (Well if I can get just the sleeves and the aluminum tops from Ground Control for a reasonable price.)

The only thing is I'm not sure how this setup would perform. (in terms of spring rates and lengths) I'm guessing the rears are a bit soft and too long.

Did you end up adding the D_rex spacer?

What rates and lengths did you end up going with?
Are you using any sort of a boot to protect the strut?

In terms of my goals, the car is going to be 90% daily driver (spirited at times )
I might do the odd track day.
The Golf handled perfectly, and the ride was quite good with these rates, but then again the 06 Impreza is a totally different car.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
VIP Member

I ended up going with a pretty soft setup (F:9" 280# and R:8" 250#) but I'm also running big adjustable sway bars front and rear. I am also running the spacers and ground control top mount caster camber plates. I couldn't see running without the spacers and camber plates since I only ended up with around 1.75" of travel (from strut body to bump stop). If I would have ran the camber plates without the spacers @ my ride height I would have had .75" of travel. The camber plates also help you gain some travel. Do you know how the spacers work? If not let me know and I'll explain.

I'm thinking the fronts should work but the rears are definitely out of the question. PM your email address and I'll send you a spreadsheet that I used to figure out what rates and length to go with.

One other thing to remember is that a WRX does not like to be dropped too much. My a-arms are almost level with approximately 1.5" of drop. When an a-arm goes above level camber starts shifting positive and that's not good.

You never know your collars might work but if not I think you're going to have to spend a lot to do it right. When I did the install Koni didn't make struts for Impreza's so you had to buy inserts. Do you know what needs to be done if you want to run inserts with the spacers?