Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Inverted vs Non-Inverted Strut Coilover Design

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 AM

Car Info: '07 STI
Originally Posted by meilers
"Usually" is not the same as "always." Models from Whiteline, Zeal and Zero2 are available top-adjusted and also inverted. It is absolutely possible to have both inverted and top-adjusted coilovers.

I don't see the Whiteline G4s as particularly expensive. Certainly they are competitive with other monotube inverted designs within about $300. Anyone who puts $800 (for four) coilovers on their car can't expect much out of them.
hey, sorry if i seemed like i was stepping on toes. I do realize that there are companies where adjustments from up top where they're still inverted which was why i put usually and not always.

Stance is adjusted from the bottom, so you will have to get underneath to adjust the settings. However, they do come with ***** that are attached to the bottom adjusters, so adjusting them is not that difficult. In my opinion, i think adjusting from the bottom is more benifitial for the rears since our rear seats do cover up where the adjustments are. But, that's just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
well the brands mentioned above are all of the ones that I've been considering including the stance ones.

Top adjusting would be great since I won't have to go under the car or turn the wheel sideways just to adjust the dampers... However, dunnojack made a good point on the rears since the rears are covered by the seats this will make it easier to adjust them. Only problem is that I'll have to get under the car.

What is the life expectancy of inverted mono-tube vs twin-tube? I've been reading mixed things but there are MORE benefits from mono-tube than twin-tube in my opinion from my readings. Though twin-tube is cheaper and appeals to most. Since I've gotta replace my suspension I'm looking for something that'll be happy with daily driving and on the track as stated earlier.

I am a little spoiled by the EDFC though :P and that would be a nice option

Jon
Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM

Car Info: '07 STI
hahaha, edfc is a good feature, and the flex's are no doubt a coilover that's made for daily. I just feel that they could've gone a little more aggressive on the valving. you know, if you want to see what the Stance feels like, you should come by Mach III and just let me know when you wanna drop by. Dave has the Stance on his car right now, and I will be putting my set on as soon as i get the springs that i asked for. So this way, you can decide if the coilovers are comfortable enough for you or not.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 PM

I definately would though however I live in Hawaii.

Yes, I do agree that they could and should have been a lot more aggressive. I believe that they are the most mainstream coilovers on the market right now. Of course I bought mine when I first got my car in 2002/2003. They were more expensive then.

Thanks for the offer though

Jon
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by dunnojack
hey, sorry if i seemed like i was stepping on toes. I do realize that there are companies where adjustments from up top where they're still inverted which was why i put usually and not always.

Stance is adjusted from the bottom, so you will have to get underneath to adjust the settings. However, they do come with ***** that are attached to the bottom adjusters, so adjusting them is not that difficult. In my opinion, i think adjusting from the bottom is more benifitial for the rears since our rear seats do cover up where the adjustments are. But, that's just my opinion.
No problem, didn't mean to seem defensive. The Whitelines come with extra-long ***** that actually stick up above the rear seat, so you can adjust them without taking out the rear seat and seatbelt tensioners. I can see the benefits to both.

My requirements for a set of coilovers would be how often they would need to be serviced and rebuilt, and that is tough to tell unless you've talked to someone who's had them installed for a while.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:05 PM

You may be confused...

First of all, the models you have listed:

Zero2: this is a twin tube design. For the WRX application adjustment is at the "top".
Zero2R: inverted monotube design. Adjustment **** is on the "bottom". I know, because I have this (along with other monotube and twin-tube setups)
Whiteline G4: non-inverted monotube design. WRX application has adjustment on the "top"
Zeal: offers both inverted and non-inverted monotubes

If you look at the inner assembly of a monotube catridge, it is almost impossible to have an inverted monotube setup with the valve adjustment **** on the vehicle top side. Monotobe has a floating piston separating the damper fluid from the pressurized nitrogen. In an inverted monotube, the nitrogen side is on the "top" and the piston/shaft/valve assembly on the bottom. Take a look at a few Koni damper cutout drawings and you'll see this.

Originally Posted by meilers
"Usually" is not the same as "always." Models from Whiteline, Zeal and Zero2 are available top-adjusted and also inverted. It is absolutely possible to have both inverted and top-adjusted coilovers.

I don't see the Whiteline G4s as particularly expensive. Certainly they are competitive with other monotube inverted designs within about $300. Anyone who puts $800 (for four) coilovers on their car can't expect much out of them.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Whitelines FWICR do not come with top hats or any type of pillow ball upper mounts.

Jon