Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Fix caster? alignment specs listed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Those alignment specs stink. There is no reason for the toe. They should all be zeroed.

Also they used the stock camber specs, which suck. You want -2^ front and -1^ rear. Your current specs will induce under steer.
+1 to this.

Did you get the Firestone exotic lifetime alinement or just the regular one? The exotic alinement lets you pic your own specs. a .5 difference left to right is crazy high.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Those alignment specs stink. There is no reason for the toe. They should all be zeroed.

Also they used the stock camber specs, which suck. You want -2^ front and -1^ rear. Your current specs will induce under steer.
Can you elaborate why I would want -2 camber in the front and -1 in the rear? I will go back in today and get that done.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
+1 to this.

Did you get the Firestone exotic lifetime alinement or just the regular one? The exotic alinement lets you pic your own specs. a .5 difference left to right is crazy high.
ohhh okay, that was the difference with exotic. The guy didn't mention exotic but I will go back in and switch it up and make that happen.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
Getting the best alignment- dynamic camber analysis. - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx
Whats ur cross caster spec's say? Does ur car drift or pull in any way?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by esousa22
Can you elaborate why I would want -2 camber in the front and -1 in the rear? I will go back in today and get that done.

By increasing negative camber in the front and reducing it in the rear you can reduce the amount of understeer that you'll experience while cornering.

Originally Posted by queeg9k
+1

ohhh okay, that was the difference with exotic. The guy didn't mention exotic but I will go back in and switch it up and make that happen.
What did you ask for? Did you just throw them the keys and say, "Hey, I need an alignment."

Whenever I go in for an alignment it a pretty long conversation about the specs I'm looking for.

You have a lot of research to do about alignments.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
By increasing negative camber in the front and reducing it in the rear you can reduce the amount of understeer that you'll experience while cornering.

+1

What did you ask for? Did you just throw them the keys and say, "Hey, I need an alignment."

Whenever I go in for an alignment it a pretty long conversation about the specs I'm looking for.

You have a lot of research to do about alignments.
But I don't care about cornering.. its not a track car.. its a DD. I care about even tire wear and not having excessive non necessary wear. I threw them my keys and said, I just put new suspension on, I need an alignment. I figured since I have a lifetime alignment, I'd do exactly as I did, go in, give them my keys, post my alignment specs and ask for opinions on is it good for my DD applications. brfatal is suggesting changing the camber for understeer in cornering but that doesn't sound like something that is necessary for me and thats why I asked him to elaborate.

You are right though, I do need to learn about alignment and thats what these threads are helping me with slowly. I know what camber, toe, caster is but I dont know what their purposes are.

I thought camber wore the inner tires more and thats why I thought it was a bad idea

Last edited by esousa22; 01-30-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by GrnFozzy
Whats ur cross caster spec's say? Does ur car drift or pull in any way?
Not sure what the "cross caster" is because its not listed on the paper I dont think but I'll check when I go back to my car and get my binder. The car didnt pull in any direction after the alignment but it does pull right now because I raised my driver side a bit to match the passenger side perfectly as well as adjusted caster on both side using the camber plates. I rotated the coilover so it was like the picture below, instead of perpendicular with the wheel.

Name:  C59560A6-6DCB-466C-AC66-DD2D42725A5D-519-000000E742573BFE.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  293.1 KB
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

You don't have to track the car to appreciate cornering ability.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM

but I would like even tread wear so I don't have to replace my tires faster.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM

thanks^
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

but I would like even tread wear so I don't have to replace my tires faster.
As it was mentioned in the other thread. Camber doesn't kill your tires. Toe does.

The only reason people may be lead to believe that camber causes uneven wear is because of the hellaflush set-ups. But those guys are running -4 degrees or more. We're talking no more than -2.5 here.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 PM

As it was mentioned in the other thread. Camber doesn't kill your tires. Toe does.

The only reason people may be lead to believe that camber causes uneven wear is because of the hellaflush set-ups. But those guys are running -4 degrees or more. We're talking no more than -2.5 here.
I never said it KILLLS your tires but obviously it does some wearing if -4 wears the tires down on hellaflush setups, well, -2 will do it as well, just not as fast. and the closer I go to 0, the better. Right? or wrong? I'm not arguing, simply trying to understand why the hell -2 wouldn't wear tires worse that 0 camber. If it does, that all I need to hear. If it doesn't, outstanding! I'm all for it.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM

I know, but I don't need to appreciate cornering ability to appreciate my car. Wearing my tires out even 20% faster than I would without the -2 camber isn't something I want to do.

Quick Reply: Fix caster? alignment specs listed.