Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Brake Failure -- Dealer to Blame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
...they better look over your hub/axles and diff as well.
That's a good point. When the rotors get that hot, the heat transfers by conduction to any nearby components. The wheel bearing grease could have failed when the operating temperature was exceeded.

Anything damaged can be repaired or replaced by the dealer or another shop. Use only quality Subaru parts for things like bearings.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 2006 STi
So here's the update. The dealer in question is Steven's Creek Subaru in San Jose. I'm only naming them now because I wanted to give them a chance to make it right. They have not.

I'm outraged. Yesterday I had the car flatbedded from my house down to them. They called this morning totally disavowing any responsibility for the brake problem. They said that when they went to inspect the car, there was no clamp on the brake line and that they don't use clamps like the ones they had seen in my photos I emailed to them. They are refusing to pay for any of it. They claim either I did this to my car or someone sabotaged my vehicle.

Are you kidding me?

That clamp has been stuck on there since the day I picked it from their shop when they did the rear brakes. For it to all of a sudden "fall off" or disappear en route on the tow truck is absolutely impossible.

They want me to believe that I sabotaged my own car? What?! They want me to believe my car was sabotaged by someone else?! What a load of crap. The car has been sitting in my garage nearly the whole time I've owned it (a few months).

They are clearly trying to weasel their way out of paying for damage caused by their own incompetence and negligence. I'm trying to get Subaru of America involved, but this is an outrage.

Do not go to Steven's Creek Subaru in San Jose.

If anyone has any suggestions of other methods of recourse, please let me know. This is unconscionable.

Jonathan
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Thats ridiculous man. Bad business if you ask me. If and when its time for a new suby, I definitely wont be looking at Steven's Creek in San Jose for my next purchase. The damage caused to your car could have caused a serious injury. They should be happy that no one was hurt, and should make things right by fixing your brakes, and apologizing for the inconvenience.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by sigma pi
Bureu of Auto Repair

http://www.bar.ca.gov/
http://www.bar.ca.gov/01_ConsumerAct...nts/index.html

for CA

if you need other states or have questions post them or PM me
Originally Posted by jhammer
So here's the update. The dealer in question is Steven's Creek Subaru in San Jose. I'm only naming them now because I wanted to give them a chance to make it right. They have not.

I'm outraged. Yesterday I had the car flatbedded from my house down to them. They called this morning totally disavowing any responsibility for the brake problem. They said that when they went to inspect the car, there was no clamp on the brake line and that they don't use clamps like the ones they had seen in my photos I emailed to them. They are refusing to pay for any of it. They claim either I did this to my car or someone sabotaged my vehicle.

Are you kidding me?

That clamp has been stuck on there since the day I picked it from their shop when they did the rear brakes. For it to all of a sudden "fall off" or disappear en route on the tow truck is absolutely impossible.

They want me to believe that I sabotaged my own car? What?! They want me to believe my car was sabotaged by someone else?! What a load of crap. The car has been sitting in my garage nearly the whole time I've owned it (a few months).

They are clearly trying to weasel their way out of paying for damage caused by their own incompetence and negligence. I'm trying to get Subaru of America involved, but this is an outrage.

Do not go to Steven's Creek Subaru in San Jose.

If anyone has any suggestions of other methods of recourse, please let me know. This is unconscionable.

Jonathan
i hate to say it but i was pretty sure they would go that route thats why i posted the links and the info for you
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 04' WRX wagon, 91' SE-R
Steven's Creek Subaru is the WORST dealer to deal with, period. Sorry about your loss.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Wwwooowww...That's pretty bad. Just like the most of the folk here, I never seen such a bad brake failure...

Also, regarding the dealer, that is why I have always accompanied the car to any shop regardless of the problem or potential fault. I want to avoid any unfortunate dishonesty because I had similar experiences in the past when it came to confronting the party who did the work. Good luck figuring everything out!

I say just give them one more shot at resolving this, document in detail everything, get the the Better Business Bureau, Bureau of Auto Repair involved and take them to small claims court.

Last edited by LxJLthr; 11-13-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Why would they put the clamp on the line?
What type of brake work did they do?
What does the RO say on it?
How many miles did you put on the car after picking it up & when the failure occurred?

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 11-13-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 06 obp sti
like was said i would contact BAR and possibily corportate subaru. I use to work at acura and when stuff didnt go right for the customer they would contact someone higher up that isnt involved in the dealership, and most likely they got what they wanted from what i could tell.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Why would they put the clamp on the line?
What type of brake work did they do?
What does the RO say on it?
How many miles did you put on the car after picking it up & when the failure occurred?
this is a total guess shot in the dark

if they took the caliper hose off to push the piston in to put new pads on its easier

they clapmed the line so the fluid doesnt fall on the ground?

granted this is a guess i have never done it that way

what does the subaru service PDF thign say?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn thats a load of crap they pulled
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX TR
this is a total guess shot in the dark

if they took the caliper hose off to push the piston in to put new pads on its easier

they clapmed the line so the fluid doesnt fall on the ground?

granted this is a guess i have never done it that way

what does the subaru service PDF thign say?
That would be an extremely stupid move on their part. Putting a clamp on that hose should only be done when you absolutely HAVE to, like when you're changing out a caliper or something.

Also, when you're pushing those pistons back in, it won't have anywhere for that fluid to go anyways so it'll just back up inside of the caliper and probably won't even allow the pistons to move. The only reason the fluid pushed past the clamp to get to the caliper in the first place is because of the amount of force the booster puts behind it.

There really is no reason a dealership technician should have put a clamp on it at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Anub1s
That would be an extremely stupid move on their part. Putting a clamp on that hose should only be done when you absolutely HAVE to, like when you're changing out a caliper or something.

Also, when you're pushing those pistons back in, it won't have anywhere for that fluid to go anyways so it'll just back up inside of the caliper and probably won't even allow the pistons to move. The only reason the fluid pushed past the clamp to get to the caliper in the first place is because of the amount of force the booster puts behind it.

There really is no reason a dealership technician should have put a clamp on it at all.
key word there..
Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
tats just ****ed up, sorry man, i feel for ya.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:57 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
I can see what happen now. Caliper banjo moved. When bleeding brakes. Forget to remove the clamp. Slowing fluid past that point. Draging the brake. As you drive the car using the brake some fuild is able to move past that point but not allot. Then once its full on that side of the line, The brake caliper begains to drag on the rotor. Once it drags it begains to over heat. Boiling the fluid and turning it to vapor. Causing even more pressure to build up locking the rear brake caliper.

Can anyone say brake horsepower... Looks like you make more then your brakes.. lol

Be glad it didnt start a major fire. Its not the 1st time I have seen that...

Stevens creek will not get anything from me unless they fix this problem. If they dont, I will never step foot in that place again.

With the economy this bad.. I wonder how many customers they can lose until they shut their doors.

Sucks as I'd drive down there to get parts on saturday. I have also test driven a few cars with them.. Looking to buy but now I will hold off.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:40 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally Posted by I<3subie
Stevens creek will not get anything from me unless they fix this problem. If they dont, I will never step foot in that place again.

With the economy this bad.. I wonder how many customers they can lose until they shut their doors.

Sucks as I'd drive down there to get parts on saturday. I have also test driven a few cars with them.. Looking to buy but now I will hold off.
That's just a given for the past 6 years or longer. There are multiple older threads about Stevens Creek Subaru in BAIC. Search there for the threads, but most of the later posts (sometimes dozens) are just folks saying, "that's not right, that's messed up, yahda, yahda, yahda", so it becomes tedious to find later followups from the original member who posted the problem.

Quick Reply: Brake Failure -- Dealer to Blame?