Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

big brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 06:37 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX MY02
Hello again!

Newbie Subaru Enthusiast posts again.

Interesting facts being brought up again in the big brake discussion. Something previously mentioned that the Ion BBK was a two piece rotor....

What are the benefits of a two piece rotor as opposited to a
(Im assuming) one piece rotor? And why is the benefit
"more than a measly 10mm"?

Thanks!

- Ulysses

Someone previously mentioned this:

On top of that it's a two peice rotor. The benefits are much much more then the measily 10mm you mention.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:36 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX MY02
Personally, when I hear a BBK or Big Brake Kit, the first thing that comes to my mind is... Oohhh.. Upgrade!

So I guess, better than stock!

But thats just me.

- Ulysses
Old 05-12-2003, 06:56 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Dave : great to see you posting here in the Scooby world!

Rest of y'all : pay attention, this Dave guy KNOWS HIS STUFF

I have the TCE Wilwood brakes on my Impala SS. Dave had a hand in helping TCE develop this kit, BTW. About 40K miles on them now (fronts, about 4K or so on the matching Wilwood rears), no issues at all with the Wilwood calipers. But then, I do maintain them properly (like Dave mentions) and that makes all the difference!

Unfortunately, STX autocross class (which I am running the WRX in this year) doesn't allow brake kits
Old 05-15-2003, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Did you ever get one of TCE's new rear brake kits for your BeaSSt?
Yep, from my post : About 40K miles on them now (fronts, about 4K or so on the matching Wilwood rears), no issues at all with the Wilwood calipers.

Basically, I was Todd's "Guinea Pig" for the Stage I rear kit (4 piston Dynalites, stock calipers). I still have the prototype on my car, although I do have his production brackets that I need to install.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
There are several reasons for using a two peice rotor design. Using an aluminum hat reduces unsprung and rotational weight. An aluminum had also reduces heat transfer to the hub.

Another big reason for a two-peice rotor design is the elimination of rotor distortion as it heats up. Since the rotor floats on the hat, it is free to expand and contract through heat cycles and stays nice and flat.

A one-piece rotor has the outer face of the rotor attached to the hat and it isn’t allowed to expand as much as the inner surface of the rotor. The result is a cone shaped rotor at higher temps. A lot of stress is generated in the rotor as it changes shape which will eventually lead to cracking.

The cone shape of the rotor is also part of the reason why the stock system and other aftermarket systems that use a one-piece rotor will have excessive wear at the top of the outer pad and at the bottom of the inner pad. Another reason for uneven pad wear is caliper flex. When added together, this effectively decreases the amount of usable material on the pad.

On the street, a one peice rotor is fine because it rarely, if ever, sees the kind of temperatures that cone the rotor. But a streetcar at the racetrack during a lapping day can generate that kind of heat, and that's where a two-peice rotor will give you added benefit, both in rotor and pad longevity.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com

Last edited by GarySheehan; 05-24-2003 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: big brake kit