Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

best coilover system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 05:04 PM

Car Info: black 05 sti
Question best coilover system?

I'm looking upgrading my suspension on my 2005 sti. I was looking at the cusco zero2r's.....any other things that might be similar or compete with these....maybe cheaper? or in that range? i'm a daily driver bout interested in autoX....so i would like a good suspension. I was looking at the tein flex, but a guy told me that his friend just got the zero 2r's in and had the sway bars for the understeer. he took nearly an average of 5 secs on his track time?
maybe he got better....or maybe his suspension helped? if you know anything about suspension or inputs...please post.

thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
The Zero2R is supposed to be very nice. KW is also good, but I heard a rumor that their US Distribuiter just stopped being a KW Distribuiter.

The flex's are cheaper, and are more of a compromise track + daily driver setup weighted towards the daily driver side of things. The Zero2r and the KW are definitely more track oriented, though their daily driving comforts aren't sacraficed too much.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
i would think a lot of it comes down to the tires, but there are a ton of options in that price range: tein, zeal, HKS, JIC, whiteline, KW.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Car Info: black 05 sti

Originally Posted by laoba
i would think a lot of it comes down to the tires, but there are a ton of options in that price range: tein, zeal, HKS, JIC, whiteline, KW.
what tire and coilover combo then? where can i get zeal? are they better than zero 2r's...i just heard zero 2r's are suppose to be one of the best.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by dlouie87
what tire and coilover combo then? where can i get zeal? are they better than zero 2r's...i just heard zero 2r's are suppose to be one of the best.
zero 2e's (with electronic dampening controller mounted inside the car) are good

zeal is awesome but around + 3500. dont forget what your main purpose is. is it all track while compromising on the daily driveability or vice versa?

i am on tein flex with the edfc and i love it. could it be stiffer? yes. but its my daily and i like to have some decent comfort, so thats why i got them as opposed to any other brand.

guess it comes down to what you like. ask people for a ride and see how you like them.

as for tires i have bridgestone s03's and i find they are pretty good, just the right amount of slip when you want it while maintaing good tread wear. if you want stickier tires then id recommend s02's. i say check the tire reviews. since everything is so subjective to peoples driving habits etc. you cant really get a real answer. the best is to try some out and find whats best for you.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by nKoan
The Zero2R is supposed to be very nice. KW is also good, but I heard a rumor that their US Distribuiter just stopped being a KW Distribuiter.

The flex's are cheaper, and are more of a compromise track + daily driver setup weighted towards the daily driver side of things. The Zero2r and the KW are definitely more track oriented, though their daily driving comforts aren't sacraficed too much.
Actually, the KW distributor stopped distributing anything and everything. It's really sad considering he was a suspension guru.

I have the KW setup on my STi and I think it is 10x better than the JIC FLTA2's I had on my WRX. There is almost zero body roll out on the track.

You may still be able to get the KW's from the North American KW up in Canada.

The Zeals are also an awesome choice.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:44 AM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Exclamation

Before you consider Zeal V6, read our problems with them on the NASIOC forum here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&page=1&pp=25

I had originally wanted the Zero2R's, and should have stuck to my guns, but back in Nov 2004 there really was not much for choices for the 05 STi, and I wanted to get my new car prepped for the new AutoX season (all year here in So Cal). After having 3 sets sold out from under me, and was told about some company called Zeal, and this guy had them in stock, and they were all hyped about them, I bought them. I am sad I did. Go ahead and read the story and make you own decision.

BlitzSTi - tell me more about your Flex with the EDFC. That is starting to sounding interesting to me. With that control module, I won't have to crawl under the car after every run at an event! Would they be competitive enough in Solo II? I seen the Zero2E advertised, but was told they are too soft compared to the Zero2R for what I need. Wish they would make a Zero2RE setup!!!!

I did see that Tein has a TBA next to the 05 STi for their Super Racing shocks, with are not only double adjustable, but can have dual EDFC controls!!!! Wish those were out now! I am aware of the KW V3's, and got a nice price quote on them - but it looks like that will be hard to get now. Heard some good things about them, as are OEM on some cars, but not sure how well German engineering works on Nippon cars.

DL, as for tires? How much do you want to spend, and how competitive you want to be? Pretty much the choice is this:

expensive but one of the top tires - Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 which is what I chose in 245/40/17 for the tread patch

less expensive, but one of the best too is the Falken Azenith 615. Some say go taller for the gearing, so they go with 245/45/17, or the soon to be released 235/40/17

Cheapest, but still extremely competitive is the new Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212

Between these 3, you have nearly every SCCA National champ using them. The Bridgestones are a thing of the past at this time.

Oh, by the way - one guy who came in 7th in STU class at the Nationals (where us STi guys run) did quite well with just stock stuts but the STi JDM *PINK* springs. So that is still a competitive and CHEAP option as well. Thought I'd mention that.

Last edited by Z3coupe; 09-25-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:50 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Egan, KW has now moved to NorCal. Tom Edge is the president, and one heck of a guy to talk to! Even called me personally to tell me that my set I ordered had mistakenly been shipped out to another before they got them to send to me. So he personally had a set expressed here from Germany just for me! And I got them the same day I would have gotten the normal shipment!!!!

Have them on the car now, and just had it aligned. Also set them to the specs you sent me (I think you did????). They might not be exactly like yours, as the explanation was a bit vague. But thise shocks are AWESOME!!!!!! Sold at least 2 sets now from just having others ride in the car. They do NOT bounce, or are too harsh as JDM brands tend to be. Perhaps because Euros are so like us - road conditions and driving style.

As for my Zeal V6 and the problems with them - they are now rebuilt and for sale. They are pretty much brand new now! And Kent from Endless wants whoever buys them from me to keep them updated. They want to make sure these are perfect! So someone will get a KILLER DEAL on these!

Here is the letter from Kent - quite informative!!!!

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...17#post1239017

Last edited by Z3coupe; 10-15-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Old Brighton
How about the zerosports winning coilovers??