Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

'93 Legacy LSi struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM

'93 Legacy LSi struts

Everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to find a new car for my wife. We've been looking at the Legacy/Outback wagons, but we came across a '93 Legacy LSi Wagon that's for sale. It only has 93k miles, so that's a big plus. The only major problem that I know of is that the owner says that it needs new shocks. Unfortunately, this wagon has the air suspension system. I know it's going to be expensive to replace the shocks, but realistically... how much would I be looking at? Also, could we convert the car to use the regular shocks? I'd imagine that it's not too hard to do, based on prior experience with other cars.

Also, are there any other trouble areas that we should look out for? I'm new to Subarus, but have been working on my other cars (mostly GM) for years now.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 PM

Car Info: 34k and 5 sets of tires
Originally Posted by pirho451
Everyone,

I'm in the process of trying to find a new car for my wife. We've been looking at the Legacy/Outback wagons, but we came across a '93 Legacy LSi Wagon that's for sale. It only has 93k miles, so that's a big plus. The only major problem that I know of is that the owner says that it needs new shocks. Unfortunately, this wagon has the air suspension system. I know it's going to be expensive to replace the shocks, but realistically... how much would I be looking at? Also, could we convert the car to use the regular shocks? I'd imagine that it's not too hard to do, based on prior experience with other cars.

Also, are there any other trouble areas that we should look out for? I'm new to Subarus, but have been working on my other cars (mostly GM) for years now.

Thanks!
you can swap the whole assembly (shock, spring, topmount) over to that car. Check the front cv axles and for leaks at the front of the engine. Neither job is horrible. They are pretty solid cars, and amazingly easy to work on.