Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 2003 GGA
Shortcomings:

1) Squeaky Windows
2) No moonroof. I really miss the one on my Integra
3) Hollow-sounding doors
4) Paint
5) OEM tires

However, none of this matters once I get behind the wheel. The mix of power and handling coupled with the 5 doors made this a no-brainer for me. There is a visceral feel that the WRX posesses that cannot be explained. The WRX is raw, yet refined. 80mph on the freeway is as well-mannered as my wife's lexus rx300. The 92' Integra I owned seemed more refined but lacked any papable muscle.

I was so close to buying an Accord V6 sedan. Then I test drove the WRX wagon and it was love at first drive.

If you get a wagon, promise me you'll get 4 things:

1) Cobb Accessport - Hello throttle reponse!
2) Solid Rear Endlinks
3) Bigger Rear Swaybar
4) New Tires
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
I really don't like the fact that I sheared the teeth off of 2nd gear yesterday...and I can hear them rattling inside of the transmission case...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:05 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
I really don't like the fact that I sheared the teeth off of 2nd gear yesterday...and I can hear them rattling inside of the transmission case...
ouch, howd it happen? sucks to hear stories like that.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

I shifted
Old 06-15-2005, 07:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
I shifted
I'm sure there's more to it than that.

I have a 02 Cobb stage 2 with 76k and the original clutch and tranny are holding strong. I don't baby it by any means but then again I don't go out, drop the clutch and power shift all the time either.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MO REX
I'm sure there's more to it than that.

I have a 02 Cobb stage 2 with 76k and the original clutch and tranny are holding strong. I don't baby it by any means but then again I don't go out, drop the clutch and power shift all the time either.
I don't baby mine at all either...don't dump the clutch...always feather it...I have been known to power shift but this shift wasn't even close to power shifting. My transmission was doing just fine too, no signs of wear, only 40,000 miles on the car. It actually shocked me that it snapped because I was making a run around the block trying to adjust my wastegate, and *bam!*, it snapped. Good excuse for me to upgrade to RA gears
Old 07-03-2005, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
The outside mirrors could be larger. The car (mine's a 2005 wrx wagon) is designed for quickness and manueverability, but the mirrors don't provide quite enough coverage for manuevering in traffic. I've been surprised to see a vehicle in my blind spot right before committing to a lane change enough times as not to trust them as much as I would like. If they were larger it wouldn't be a problem.

Seems like sporty cars would have bigger mirrors for driver visibility, instead of smaller ones for style. Personally, I didn't buy the car for its looks. Call them "bug ears" - they wouldn't have to be that much larger to substantially improve visibility. I would trade that for any loss of aerodynamics that might result.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:12 AM

Car Info: 05 stg 2 wrx
Pro:
AWD and nice stock suspension

Improvement:
Gas mileage
One touch up/down windows and moonroof
Leather seats
Fold down rear seats
6 speed
Old 07-13-2005, 12:19 PM
banned

deleted

Last edited by SiperWRX; 06-15-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 04 Red Impreza, 84 Levin GT-SR5
Originally Posted by SiperWRX
My biggest qualms when I got my '02 were: no leather option (ugly cloth stitching), no sunroof option, no electric seats, no folding backseat, turbo lag in the heat. Some of which I should only expect from a luxury car, but for the price I paid (29k OTD showroom model), I figue they could've at least had the option...
whoaa. you paid a lot. did you have any aftermarket parts pre-installed (rims, exhaust, etc.) or just stock?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:45 PM

Car Info: Subaru Wrx-soon
Thumbs up Im going to buy one

is there any good sites i can look at subarus on? whats the things i look for when i am buying one can i get one with a turbo for a decent price?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:54 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by wrx1985
is there any good sites i can look at subarus on? whats the things i look for when i am buying one can i get one with a turbo for a decent price?
do a search on forums first, then post questions. try edmunds.com for some car buying info
Old 12-25-2006, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS
Gas Mileage
22-24mpg on my 2.5rs
i suspect wrx's are worse.

and i'm only complaining because my old car was a 32mpr 97 corolla
Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
Originally Posted by NOPN
Gas Mileage
22-24mpg on my 2.5rs
i suspect wrx's are worse.

and i'm only complaining because my old car was a 32mpr 97 corolla
That's what I get with my wrx.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 07 Impreza 2.5i SE Sedan
RE: subaru

Yeah, I just got my first subaru in Spetember (07 2.5i SE sedan). I traded in an 05 Mustang (new body style). I miss the torque of my mustang, but my goal in trading in was AWD not power. Even for a 173? HP engine, car seems a little slow down low, but I know that the AWD makes these cars heavier than most 4-cylindar cars. Not bad though, it's just the launch that is a dog. I am overall very happy with this car. I may just need a little of an adjustment period to get used to dropping from 240 ft/lb torque to 170. Car seems to be getting broken in and I've noticed it driving a little better. Can't say enough about the handling compared to the mustang....sym AWD is great! I had 3 warranty issues with the stang (one which they would not fix 'cause they couldn't varify the problem) and I hadn't even had the car for 3 years yet. Warranty was about to run out and was starting to worry that I would get stuck paying for more issues. Ford definatley does not make "quality job one". I won't knock it too much though. No real MAJOR issues and I had a lot of fun in that car...not to mention it's the best looking stang in years. The suby just fits my needs better. I've found that power is over-rated. I almost got my license taken away in the stang for doing 25 over...got reduced to faulty equipment though...only $25 fine...don't ask. After that, I just realized the times are far and few between when I really got to use the power of the stang. Now I'm more concerned with things like quality, reliabilty, handling, traction...and I've heard nothing but good things about subaru. Very happy with my choice! Oh yeah, I'm sure glad I decided to trade now instead of later. I love the looks of the 07 body style. 08 makes me want to puke, looks like a cross between a Focus and a mazda, not a good combination although mazdas in general I think look pretty good. Car just looks to common now. Hell, might even mistake the new 08's for a KIA or something. Dealer asked me if I was interested in the 08's to which I replied "Hell no, those are ugly what was Subaru thinking???"

Last edited by zenflow; 11-08-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??