Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2001 Transmaro SS
Like a lot of others I don't really like the way the tranny engages, especially into reverse. I also get a lot of gear grinding even with the clutch in all the way, at least a lot more than I am used to coming from V8 world.

I think the interior noise on my 02 WRX is kind of load too but that is largely due to my aftermarket 17"s and tires.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by illy
Like a lot of others I don't really like the way the tranny engages, especially into reverse. I also get a lot of gear grinding even with the clutch in all the way, at least a lot more than I am used to coming from V8 world.

I think the interior noise on my 02 WRX is kind of load too but that is largely due to my aftermarket 17"s and tires.
Oh snap! I didn't notice how old this thread was! Doh!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Car Info: lowered blk04 with no motor
i have a 04. tranny went out. tryin to get the ra gear set

i got the indash 6 disc changer and it sucks. i have to hit the eject button like 10 times. and few other buttons a few times.

Last edited by GasPipe DreameR; 07-20-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:04 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by jamester
In addition to tranny paranoia, useless cupholders (resolved in '05), and crappy stereo;

I used my AC for the first time the other day. Wow! Good-by power.... =(
sooooo true.... the ac drains sooo much power. ive down shifted a couple of times while the ac was on, but i didnt no it was on, and i felt as if i was driving my sisters rav4.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Car Info: 05 aspen white sti
Talking

Hey everyone i am looking to buy an STi in about a month or so. I am so stoked to get this car have been waiting forever, and so far i have heard wayyy more good about it then bad. But for experienced owners, i have some quetions to ask...

This will be my first car with a manual tranny... I am reading some posts about people saying they are having trouble with a bad transmission or "hard to get into reverse"... could any body give me details or specifics on these problems, and is it a big enough problem to keep me from buying this car?
Also, what year do you all suggest for most practical interior design?
Anything else i should know before purchasing this car... feel free to post.
Thanks! -matty d
Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Originally Posted by mattyd
Hey everyone i am looking to buy an STi in about a month or so. I am so stoked to get this car have been waiting forever, and so far i have heard wayyy more good about it then bad. But for experienced owners, i have some quetions to ask...

This will be my first car with a manual tranny... I am reading some posts about people saying they are having trouble with a bad transmission or "hard to get into reverse"... could any body give me details or specifics on these problems, and is it a big enough problem to keep me from buying this car?
Also, what year do you all suggest for most practical interior design?
Anything else i should know before purchasing this car... feel free to post.
Thanks! -matty d
if u cant get into reverse, push it into 1st then try reverse again. also, NEVER try to get it into reverse if the car is rolling forward or even backwards, it WILL grind. (but you can put it into 1st with the car rolling) my wrx shifter if very notchy because i have low miles, but i find that when i drive other peoples wrx's with higher miles, the shifter is pretty smooth. so just remember the notchyness of the tranny will most likely lessen with time.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:31 AM

One more note about the transmission. I had my tranny fluid replaced with redline synthetic and almost all of my "getting in to gear" issues are resolved.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
The trunk sounds very tinny, the crappy paint and the body dents easily(thin metal).
Old 06-14-2005, 01:33 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI
Pros:
Mod Friendly.
Stage 2 cobb pretty big improvement over stock
awd
turbo

Cons:
Feels like a/c drains more power in this car than others
paint gets scratched too easily
windows are frameless so when closing the door with windows half down makes me cringe
green interior lighting
Old 06-14-2005, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 2004 JPB WRX
Pros:
Fast as bawls stock or with minor mods
Ability to be moded easily
Price
AWD
4dr
4cylinder turbo
Boxer grumble
Unique styling
Reliability

Cons:
Stock stereo, weak
Interior seats, the 04's have mesh and collect crud: need leather
Squeaky seat belts
Slight rattles in mirrors and dash sometime experience

Overall, for the money and resale value you can’t beat the WRX as an all around car, especially for your situation (married father of 2).
Old 06-14-2005, 03:07 PM

Car Info: 04 silver wrx
04 wrx 9000 miles from a totally modded 93 se-r.

cons:
wrx seats are terrible unless you are larger: 180lbs plus.

suspension and brakes are really weak for a car this fast and heavy- NEED to upgrade for saftey issues.

body panels are thin- just push on the lip of the trunk.

steering ratio is way too slow- it takes a ton of effort to wrestle the wrx through a bunch of tight tuns in a row.

Drive an 05 STi with the extra 2 degrees positive caster and faster steering ratio- it is a completely different beast- the clutch is perfect but third gear is always hard to find.

pros:
it is really fun to drive, tons of grip, enough power, great looks and bags of tricks that only AWD cars can do- empty parking lots, gravel paths, donuts, Rockfords, whatever...

I spent some time driving a 04 Evo- insane. it is the car we ALL want but not very nice as a daily driver. the STi would be a much better choice.

Quick Reply: what dont wrx'rs like about thier car??