Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Car Info: WRX
Warranty Question

Picked up my buddies 02 WRX. It was not driven often as it only has 12k on it. Is there anyway to find out if the car still has any sort of warranty left?

I hate to ak, but what seems to be the deal with the WRX trannies? I thought that they were pretty strong?

Sorry for the newbie question I was a honda god, but switched out since 2 of my built hondas were stolen within 11 months.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years/36K miles so assuming he bought the car new sometime in 02 this has run out. There is still a 5 yr/60K powertrain warranty that covers the engine internals, trans, driveline etc.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by Mulder
The bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years/36K miles so assuming he bought the car new sometime in 02 this has run out. There is still a 5 yr/60K powertrain warranty that covers the engine internals, trans, driveline etc.
wow, no kidding? Well I am going to say NM for right now because woke up this morning to find that my newly purchased 02 WRX was stolen. I thought someone was joking but some punks jacked it, i'm pretty pissed, and confused. I just drive to and from work, and here and there to the mall and someone has to come bother me and jack my ****.

Assuming I get the car back how can I go about gaining access or transfering the warranty into my name? I want to make sure that I get whatever warranty is left on the car just "incase" you know?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Wow sorry to hear that, where do you live? Here in NY/NJ (Northern NJ especially) we have a serious theft problem with WRX's and STi's, it's not so prevalent in other areas/states. I hope you get it back and as intact as possible.
Assuming you do get it back, you shouldn't have to do anything to transfer the remaining portion of the original warranty, that follows the vehicle. If the previous owner had purchased any kind of extended warranty then you would have to fill out some paperwork and perhaps pay a small fee to transfer it to you, assuming that was permissible under the warranty terms.