Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Used STI + Extended Warranty?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Car Info: VW 2000
Used STI + Extended Warranty?

Well. I'm looking at buying an 05 STI with around 40k miles on it.

I'm doing alot of shopping and researching and hopefully you guys can help me out on this topic.

I know Subaru builds great and reliable cars, but I'm the king of bad luck (knock on wood). Whats your opinion on Extended warranties?

Thanks you guys are great.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Warranties are fine. I know people have had good luck with used Subies. However the one thing to consider is this:

How hard are you gonna drive your STI probably pretty hard right. I mean your gonna not hurt it but your gonna have fun.

NOw think of the previous owner. How do you think they drove it? They probably drove it the same way you are going to. Only 40k miles but those could have been some hard miles. Specially on the tranny.
SO that is something to think of. I had the chance to buy a used STi 20k miles or a new wrx. I went with the wrx cuz i am the only one to have owned my car. SO i know what is and isnt wrong with it.

YOu probably will never have a problem with yoru car it is just something to think about. So if you do get it i would say yes get the warranty but careful what you do to the car cuz any "unwarranted" mods will void your warranty.

Stick with SPT parts you will be safe. Its really the only way to mod without voiding warranty.

just my $.02
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
If you keep you car stock I would get the warenty, if you plan on moding it is a wast of money you can put into cool new mods lol.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I personally wouldnt bother with the warranty....dealerships are pretty quick to claim 'abuse' in the off chance something did go wrong. Also, I wouldnt worry about the tranny, its probably the strongest part of the car. I bought my 04 STi used as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I think unless you. But a certified preowned Subaru from a Subaru dealership, the warranty voids out, could be wrong, but that's what Subaru told me about my used sti I bought at a used car lot
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Car Info: VW 2000
Yeah... I have thought about all this.

I don't drive that aggressively, but I may want to have a little fun now and again.

Most likely will keep it stock. Maybe replace the Rear Sway Bar.

Any of you guys buy an extended warranty? Only reason why I ask is because my last car was a nightmare... but then it was a VW.

But all in all, I'm really leaning away from it.

Last edited by pxchoi; 05-28-2008 at 01:59 PM.