Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

transmission lawsuit won!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 10:23 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
The stock one always smelled burnt. Since ACT never smell. No prob with the rant, I forgot to give all the info.

Nick
Old 12-11-2003, 03:00 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by SuboobaruWRSEX
I also dont beat on my car like some people do.
I'm sorry but I find some contradictions to this after reading about your exploits in other threads.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:18 PM

I drive my car, like everyone else on this post. I do not beat on it, no powershifts, no redline clutch drops, never been to a race track, service it before scheduled to, look for 93 octane as much as possible (MI), use mobil 1 fluids, and wash it almost every time I fill up. My Grand National; I race, redline, burnout (not an option with subie), and so on. I also spend about $ 5,000 a year to keep it driving in top condition, and it is only driven about 3,000 miles a year (winter storage). I know what happens when you push a car to its limits, things break. For my everyday car I cant have things break, so I dont push it around. Also, about 80% of my miles are highway. They are called threads or replys, not exploits.

Nick

Last edited by SuboobaruWRSEX; 12-11-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:51 PM

I drive my car, like everyone else on this post. I do not beat on it, no powershifts, no redline clutch drops, never been to a race track, service it before scheduled to, look for 93 octane as much as possible (MI), use mobil 1 fluids, and wash it almost every time I fill up. My Grand National; I race, redline, burnout (not an option with subie), doughnuts, and so on. I also spend about $ 5,000 a year to keep it driving in top condition, and it is only driven about 3,000 miles a year (winter storage). I know what happens when you push a car to its limits, things break. For my everyday car I cant have things break, so I dont push it around. Also, about 80% of my miles are highway. They are called threads or replys, not exploits.

Nick
My intention is not to bash on you but I think some folks are not coming clean regarding how they truly operate their vehicles. There are some previous "threads/replys" that you made regarding some experiences (I called them exploits) that you shared on the board. Here are a couple of examples:

This is from personal experience, and some general thought. My subie is modded no cats, injen intake, Apexi exhaust, 9.5lb flywheel, ACT, and dropped some weight.
I beat a S2000 by about half a car
Killed a few RSX type S's
Mustang GT or V6 arnt even fun
Ran with a Camaro SS, (T/A WS6) from 80 up to the govenor through traffic with four other cars, I was ahead of the SS and a C4 vette
A Camaro SS or WS6 would whoop on us from the line 325hp
Beat tons of early 90's Camaros and T/A's
Think the 350Z would win, I drove my bro's TT300ZX and that is faster than us
The non-M BMW's are slow, driven many Z3's
Boxters are quick more rwhp than us, lighter, more areodynamic
The IS300 w/ a manuel would be better than with the auto, we would most likely win. It has the renowned 2JZ (old Supra motor) watch out there are turbo kits for them = 4 door Supra Turbo.
Stay away from Grand Nationals they will own you!
In a few of these instances it will depend on the driver.

Nick
Doing doughnuts is stressfull on your steering components. Last winter I f*cked up my pump after a weekend in the UP. Doing doughnuts in snow is fun, but like most things fun in a car isnt the best for them. It was f'ed so bad that it was not power just hard to turn while breaking. I will be doin it again this winter though.

Nick
I realize you don't race "at the track" but it's apparent you do it on the street. I'm not going to start preaching about the fact that street racing is illegal and dangerous, but these two examples contradict what you just said. ....right? I think it's only fair that folks are honest about how they treat their cars if their going to complain about warranties or build quality.

....btw, judging by the above, you don't drive like everyone else on this post (at least not me).

- Kean
Old 12-11-2003, 07:24 PM

You got me, I have raced my car. I never said that I did not do that. I said that I have never taken it to the track. Totally different. Street race, usually one race then shut down, roads dont have a traction compound on them. Track, usually 5 or more passes where you put your car to the test, from a hard launch at the line and full throttle for more than 14 seconds (average WRX). Tracks have a compound on them so that the high horsepower cars can get traction. This is going to put more stress and force on your drivetrain than an oily road would. When I take my GN to the track I am always going for the best time in every aspect (reaction, 60ft, 1/8, 1/4, and speed). On the road, I always get moving before I punch it so that I can get traction. There is much less stress on the car if all the spinning parts are allready moving when more force is put on them vs. non moving to full power. I live in Mi where we get alot of snow, doing doughnuts in snow isnt unusual out here. Alot of people do them while trying to drive straight. I thought that the pump would have been stronger. But it wasnt, so I paid. This thread is veering far away from where it started so I will not be back to bicker.

Nick
Old 12-12-2003, 10:26 AM

You got me, I have raced my car. I never said that I did not do that. I said that I have never taken it to the track. Totally different. Street race, usually one race then shut down, roads dont have a traction compound on them. Track, usually 5 or more passes where you put your car to the test, from a hard launch at the line and full throttle for more than 14 seconds (average WRX). Tracks have a compound on them so that the high horsepower cars can get traction. This is going to put more stress and force on your drivetrain than an oily road would. When I take my GN to the track I am always going for the best time in every aspect (reaction, 60ft, 1/8, 1/4, and speed). On the road, I always get moving before I punch it so that I can get traction. There is much less stress on the car if all the spinning parts are allready moving when more force is put on them vs. non moving to full power. I live in Mi where we get alot of snow, doing doughnuts in snow isnt unusual out here. Alot of people do them while trying
to drive straight. I thought that the pump would have been stronger. But it wasnt, so I paid. This thread is veering far away from where it started so I will not be back to bicker.

Nick
I'm assuming that whether you drag race your car on the track or on the street, the goal is to beat the guy next to you. To achieve this, chances are that you're launching the car at higher than "normal" RPMs and shifting through gears at a quick pace. Believe it or not, your putting a lot more stress on your drive-train by drag racing your car regardless of where you do it (judging by your "kills" it sounds like this may be happening on a regular basis). Add your modifications into the mix, and you compound the stress issues due to the extra power.

After reading the posts you made in this thread and others, I felt there was a contradiction. Personally, I've never raced my car "from 80 up to the govenor through traffic with four other cars" nor do I drag race on the street (or strip for that matter). However, I do admit that I drive my car "spiritedly".......but I don't shift quickly through gears or "launch" the car due to the stresses it puts on the drive-train.

The only reason I brought this up was due to your remarks/claims in this thread. You made it sound like you didn't run you WRX hard (that's what your GN was for) and that your transmission problems were all SOA's fault. The condition of your stock clutch and the fact that you added an ACT made me curious. I'm just trying to show that SOA may have a point in some cases.

btw, make sure not to turn your wheel to "full lock" if you're going to do doughnuts again. This is a sure way to burn out your PS pump (I believe it's covered in the manual as well).

- Kean
Old 12-12-2003, 03:47 PM

I bought my car in november and I drive about 2,000 miles a month. When my first tranny went out was very early spring/late winter. So none of those races were with the bad tranny. None of those races happend in the winter(michigan). It is very rare that you see any of the cars that I raced driving in the winter, no point in racing in snow. I just got a bad tranny with the car and subaru replaced it with a good one. The new one has had zero problems. It is much more user friendly than the old one (1st & R, from a stop).

Nick
Old 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by 02REXTURBO
When I buy a sports/sporty car, I expect it to be strong enough to take some abuse
a·buse: To use wrongly or improperly; misuse: abuse alcohol; abuse a privilege.

I don't know your particular situation and it very well could be that you have a legitimate grievance with SOA and/or your dealer. However, the fact is that there are folks out there that are "abusive" and then cry foul at the first sign of trouble.

Could Subaru have made a stronger 5 speed transmission? ....yes.

Are there better/stronger designs available on the market? ....of course.

Should they be responsible for breakage due to user abuse? ....absolutely not.

As for Subaru's record of tranny mishaps (lemon claim), I believe you're looking at the situation subjectively. An objective point of view would show that you're still in the minority (at least without supporting data).

- Kean

Last edited by Kean; 12-23-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
02REXTURBO: I started the thread and I did not race. but your point is well taken.

yes the there are a minor amount of transmissions breaking in comparison to WRX production numbers and units sold. But there is still a problem. It seems as though SOA is going to let the problem go because the cost for them to introduce a new trans and recall X amount of cars is too great. I dont blame them. If a company of my own had a similar type of problem I would do what SOA is doing and make the financially "sound" decision. Yes a few lawsuits would be filed, yes some people will argue until they're blue in the face and SOA will give in, but in the long run denying warranty work is their right and they will continue to do it as long as it saves them money.

of course you need to take the neutral position in this situation, but if you know that your consumer rights have been violated then you should take action. SOA has done nothing illeagal, they are not an evil company, they are there to make money like every company and person in the world. I would buy another Subaru in a second. I love my car and have loved it since the day I bought it. parts break on cars, they are not indestructable, and nobody's perfect. as long as those broken parts are taken care of under warranty, then no harm no foul. my transmission was not covered, so I sued. my consumer rights were violated and the judge and SOA (I spoke with the district manager after the case) agreed with me, so I won.

one last thing. the cost to rebuild a broken trans is much cheaper than buying a new one. anyone in this type of situation needs to contact the factory rep and demand a break down in cost to rebuild or replace the trans. I was told after my small claims suit that the dealership lied and said a new trans is less expensive than rebuilding the broken trans. the cost to rebuild the transmission should be about half of the cost of a new trans (depending on how bad it broke)
Old 12-28-2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by 02REXTURBO
Minority??????????? How can you say that? My dealer alone claims to have fixed dozens... they did say that a couple were found to be abuse cases, but dozens? Give me a break! Keep in mind, that I live in the Cincinnati area, and there aren't many WRX's here. The truth is that this transmission is JUNK... period. Subaru is giving everybody with tranny problems hell, because they know their product is defective. Denying warranty service is their easy way out of this. They figure that most people aren't going to fight them over it, but just pay for new/rebuilt transmissions.
The person that started this thread has raced... BIG DEAL! My friend has a 03 Cobra, with more than 100 passes down the quarter... with slicks! Has he broken anything? NO! The Miata I had, saw the strip quite often... It ran low 12's on slicks, the only driveline mod was an ACT clutch; It had more than double the stock horsepower... no problems either!
Some people are buying SRT-4's... You can get performance mods straight form the Mopar catalog; and guess what? They don't void the factory warranty!
I've heard local dealers claim that they rarely see folks come in with transmission issues (and there are many WRX's here in So Cal). .....but this proves nothing. What I'm saying is that some folks are looking at this subjectively rather than objectively. I do beleive that there are instances of "true" problems. However, my point is that there are other factors such as abuse that are not being taken into account. Looking at the big picture, you are in the minority. I'm not dismissing your personal situation, but I can't beleive this is an actual widespread design "flaw" without some stats/data to back it up.

- Kean
Old 12-31-2003, 01:09 AM

Car Info: 02 REX Wagon
I just purchased a used 2002 WRX with 35k on the clock and now I am worried. What should I do to prevent this from happening to me. I didn't notice it from test driving but getting into first is a little tough.

I have owned the car for 1 day, what should I do?

Is there anything preventative the dealer can do to make sure the tranny doesn't go completely?

I don't plan on abusing the car but sounds like in some cases abuse isn't needed. How do I make sure I'm not one of them.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:09 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Don't stress too much just yet. 1st gear is straight cut and has a very old synchro design, so it's always going to be a bit hesitant at the best of times. As long as you aren't getting grinding during a proper shift, you're probably ok. Since you're still in your warranty period, I would take it to the dealer for a VERY thorough inspection. That way, if anything is wrong, they can catch it now and you'll have coverage.

Quick Reply: transmission lawsuit won!