Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

transmission lawsuit won!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 01:36 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
I had my trans warranty claim denied on my wrx. Research my previous threads about it.

Long story short:
Took my car in for the clutch shudder, and when I got it back the clutch shuddered worse than it did before. I was told it was normal, and it would go away after a few days. After a few days, the car started popping out of gear, and the clutch pedal would stay to the floor when trying to start at a traffic light - then pop out violently. Less than a week after new clutch was installed, I lost second gear. SOA claimed used abuse and denied responsibility.

My car is modded, and they knew it was before I even took it to have the work done. I even called ahead to make sure there wouldnt be a problem with my mods. But after the trans went, they took pictures of everything I had changed and claimed that the mods would have attributed to the trans failing.

They knew my car wasn't right when I left the lot. A tech even drove the car and agreed that there was something wrong, but I was told to take it and the problem would be gone in a week. Well, the clutch wasn't shuddering in a week, because I couldn't even drive the damn car.

Bottom line: Some people like me have legitimate warranty claims denied, and others have illegitimate claims approved.

Life sucks. I love my rex, but I'll never buy another Subaru.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:27 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
They might have some problem trannys, that seems clear from the fact that in some cases they are doing warranty replacements and creating satisfied customers.

But I have to say from my own experience it isn't fair to say the WRX 5 speed is "junk"- mine has gone over 100,000 miles, albeit on a stock trim motor, but often driven at 8 or 9 tenths of the vehicles capability.

Like so many parts in production vehicles these days, I expect this transmission is engineered pretty darn tightly to the spec of the motor and clutch.

This would readily explain why those that bump up the HP, and/or add racing clutch set-ups seem to be the group that is experiencing the most catastrophic tranny failures, but they aren't alone, there are stock trim cars losing gearboxes here and there.

Personally I have had to learn a lot in order to adapt to the dynamics of this vehicle, and stock trim has afforded me the ability to get as far as I have, but I'd have to admit I'm still a long way from having it mastered.

When I do choose to build a motor, (which I think is the proper path, as the internals are all just one step above dogmeat in the stock motor in the first place, and I think that modding them much at all is asking for things to go wrong) -upgrading the gearbox to a 6 speed with a heavy duty gear set is also going to have to be part of the plan.

Meanwhile I will keep my car in stock trim even though I'm well past any warranty coverage

mostly just because I can get in enough trouble as it is with 227 hp, -tuning the nut behind the wheel is still the most important performance enhancement I need.

-and I can't afford to get a gearbox or build a motor right now....
Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
I don't question the wisdom. Reason? My 02 with 18.5K has a clutch that grabs and jumps something awful on cold mornings. I have already complained to the dealer, who said he would replace the clutch, but did not think that would solve the problem??!!. I can't do it for a while due to some pressing personal biz, but I intend to have it replaced "just because", so that the problem will be fixed (I hope) before it becomes out of warranty. There have been lots of these complaints, and SOA surely knows of them, by now. I would put in the better clutch, but mi esposa (who has a weak L knee), also drives it from time to time and I am not keen to replacing her knee anytime soon.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
To Kean: You sound like a vetran driver, as I am (3 score ten and counting) but I agree with many posters- when we bought WRXs we expected to give them a run for their money. It may not be legal, but dicing a bit with others on wide, clear NY parkways from time to time is good fun, and it shows the others what a mere $24K will do, and still haul the Home Depot stuff, drive in the snow, and get oohs and aahs at the A&P, especially when mi esposa parks next to some rodded out Civic. they ask her is she's a sport; she tells them to "show me the money" and they go back to the 7-11 with the rest of the juvies. (She is a good, fast driver, but shifting is not her thing). Is this abuse? Misuse? I hope to put our WRX on a track one of these days for some hot laps, and let the tranny go before warrant does. Have fun!
Tomorrow, Mr. Shrub could nuke us all!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:33 AM

Same thing happend with me. I Have an 05 wrx and my 2nd gear broke after only 5000 miles. SOA denied my warranty and claimed abuse. What should i do?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Hire a lawyer, unless you were drag racing, autocrossing, street racing, or anything of that nature, because those all meet the legal requirements of "abuse" under previous decisions regarding the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
I'm one of the bystander WRX owners regarding this issue because (thankfully) after 47K miles my car has been trouble-free. I drive the car hard at times, but I'm no Speed Racer type.

Subaru shouldn't be liable to repair component failure that is modification or track-related. The policy regarding this has been clearly stated by Subaru.

SOA should however, repair any part as covered by the warranty, including parts worn out in some pretty darned hard driving. After all, SOA paid money to their advertising company to promote such usage. Remember the ads? Promotion of stunt and hard-use driving should imply that same use is appropriate for the car. Any disclaimers I saw were about the "professional drivers" and were warnings for the benefit of driver and passenger safety, not the technical capabilities of the WRX.

The Subaru ads claimed that the WRX was 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. Anyone who has driven this car knows that you have to operate it in a pretty hard way to get it to do the 5.4. And I think that most of know if we try to get this 5.4 say, a couple of times a day then that 5M tranny is going break sooner than later. Maybe they should have advertised the WRX with a disclaimer: "Zero to Sixty in Five-Point-Four (but just once)"
Old 03-23-2005, 12:41 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
interesting that you guys write about this. I have a Y2K 2.5RS coupe and have had tranny problems/clutch problems. I have driven it in heavy traffic and have driven it reasonably. I haven't "babied" the car for the 68000 miles i've had it nor have I raced it, but in between, so i believe that that this falls under normal wear and tear. I have installed a part that was covered under subaru policies which is the short throw shifter but i don't think that matters now since the drivetrain warranty has been exhausted.

So here goes my story.. I drove my car from Southern cal up to northern cal again (from moving down there in the first place for my new job). My clutch pedal play was insane that morning (this is the second time this has happened but it went back to normal after as well) and this went back to normal. All this went to hell when i got back home.

I checked the car over with my dad and we got to replacing the clutch fluid. As I pressed in the clutch pedal (we just started so all the fluid was in and nothing was removed) the pedal went to the ground and GOT STUCK THERE! We were just puzzled.. At first we thought it was the master cylinder or the slave... Then we found out that the piston coming out of the slave going to the clutch lever in the tranny was moving so we were again puzzled.. Then my dad found it.. The clutch lever going into the TRANNY WASN'T MOVING. Or at least going back to the engage position. So we thought the worst.. (bad pressure plate, springs, etc)

We had to call the tow truck to come to our house and had it sent to Carlsen. Heres the NEXT portion of my plight... The carlsen guy told my dad (since I had to rent a car and had to drive back to socal) that the diagnostic said that the master cylinder was bad.... Then they said the slave might be bad too.. We were incensed... I was not going to "follow the flow of maintenance" and pay for each and every single thing that they want to replace. Next thing they said was "we don't have a master cylinder in stock". What the ****? What shop doesn't have extra master cylinders or other clutch system parts for that matter? So now we have to incur the cost of 20$ overnight shipping. If there was something wrong with the master and that is it, we will just pay for that, but if there is something wrong with the plate or springs, that is a HUGE cost since they most likely replace the whole clutch and I am NOT going to pay for the replacement of more than one part if there was nothing wrong with them in the first place....

Anyways, since this is insanely long already, I am currently waiting in SOCAL for my car in NORCAL and hoping to God that my car is going to be diagnosed properly and promptly so I can have the car back. (i am paying 200 a week for this rental car since I need to return it in torrance) If they are wrong, then I'm sending a letter to the better business bureau and Subaru of america. If they are right, I'll incur the cost of the master cylinder and the slave and be happy with the repair.

Tim

Last edited by samurai; 03-23-2005 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-23-2005, 12:51 AM

As for tranny problems. Even when my clutch pedal was all the way in and I am at a full stop, i grind going into 1st gear. Sometimes, it grinds going into 4th... I am puzzled too..

Tim
Old 04-19-2005, 04:48 PM

I Have An 03 Wrx With 21,000...my 3-4th Shift At 4500 Rpm Is Grinding A Little...no Other Problems What So Ever, I Was Told To Try 1 Qt. Of Syncromesh In The Tranny...if It Doesnt Work Remove The Mixed Fluid And Refill With Stock Fluid...then Take To Dealer To Repair...warranty Is 60,000 Miles...if That Doesnt Work And They Deny Warranty Coverage...$22 To File Small Claims Court Case At Local Court House...$12 To Have Local Sheriff Deliver Paperwork Personally So Subaru Rep. Cant Get Out Of Court.......i Have Already Sued A Third Party Warranty Company On An Engine For A 96 Gmc Yukon...it Was Drinking Oil, No External Leaks, I Was Told Excessive Ware And Tear...afetr $22 Court Case...they Settled With Me For 4,000 Out Of Court...you Are A Consumer And These Companies Cant Get Away With Ripping People Off...mc420
Old 04-19-2005, 05:12 PM

Car Info: white/gold sti
damn guys i beat the living s**t out of my car at the track and sometimes while driving around with no traffic... not a single problem - guess some people could stand to learn how to drive the awd subies... just my $.02 - congratz DOHCammin' but to the rest of ya's learn how ta drive! let the flames begin..
Old 04-19-2005, 06:01 PM

Thumbs down Shifting

I Didnt Know There Was A Special Manuel That Went With The Subaru 5mt...especially Specific To Only One Gear In The Car...3rd To 4th...i Have Driven Many Mt's And This Is The Only One, But Warranty Will Replace It Until I Get One That Holds Up...this Thing Is Susposed To Be A Sports Car...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally Posted by mc420
I Have An 03 Wrx With 21,000...my 3-4th Shift At 4500 Rpm Is Grinding A Little...no Other Problems What So Ever, I Was Told To Try 1 Qt. Of Syncromesh In The Tranny...if It Doesnt Work Remove The Mixed Fluid And Refill With Stock Fluid...then Take To Dealer To Repair...warranty Is 60,000 Miles...if That Doesnt Work And They Deny Warranty Coverage...$22 To File Small Claims Court Case At Local Court House...$12 To Have Local Sheriff Deliver Paperwork Personally So Subaru Rep. Cant Get Out Of Court.......i Have Already Sued A Third Party Warranty Company On An Engine For A 96 Gmc Yukon...it Was Drinking Oil, No External Leaks, I Was Told Excessive Ware And Tear...afetr $22 Court Case...they Settled With Me For 4,000 Out Of Court...you Are A Consumer And These Companies Cant Get Away With Ripping People Off...mc420
What modifications (if any) do you have to the car?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dubRexer
damn guys i beat the living s**t out of my car at the track and sometimes while driving around with no traffic... not a single problem - guess some people could stand to learn how to drive the awd subies... just my $.02 - congratz DOHCammin' but to the rest of ya's learn how ta drive! let the flames begin..
I don't know.. I just come to a complete stop while engaging the clutch, shift it in to 1st gear then... grrrrrind. Then as i am going around 30-40, I engage the clutch completely, then shift from 3-4.. grrrrind. I don't yank the shifter either.. Just normally let it fall into its gate. It doesn't happen everytime, but it happens. if you can find anything wrong with the way i'm shifting, please tell me.

I know the mechanics at Carlsen have told me that they get complaints about tranny and their brakes squeaking like hell as well.

Quick Reply: transmission lawsuit won!