Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Things to check on a used impreza

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:02 PM
banned

Things to check on a used impreza

Hello everyone. after ten years of obsessing, and forum trolling, i am finally going to buy an Impreza. I am looking at two MY'03 outback sports on monday, and I was wondering if there is anything in particular i should look for when inspecting, and test driving them. MY'03 is the second year of the bug eyed revision, and i was a dedicated forum member when they were released, but now that it comes time to buy, i can't remember if they had any odd little issues.

Thanks for the help;
~Briggs~
Old 12-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Car Info: 07 Satin Pearl White STi
best thing to do is to bring it to a Subaru shop. FLI in Santa Rosa are good and LIC a little further down in novato should be the ticket.

Sometime its best to pay a little upfront on an inspection by the pros to save you loads down the road.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 PM

Car Info: Rally 2004 Stage II Wrb Wrx (Team S.L.O.W.)
Look at the hose clamps for the intercoolers. If they are stitting (not stock) then the intercooler has been taking off and that means that they had to have 1) modded something or 2) just do some manditory service.

Look at the threads on the top cap of the springs(engine bay). You can tell if the person had aftermarket springs by looking at marks a tool would make.

I would go to a subaru dealer if i was really intrested in a suby.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM
banned

I would love to, but it seems that second hand Imprezas that have less than 2 million miles on them do not exist in my area. I've called around to 14 different dealers in my area, and not a single one had a second hand impreza in my price range.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Car Info: Rally 2004 Stage II Wrb Wrx (Team S.L.O.W.)
well just keep looken man. Took me 3 months before i found the right one. And its dam near impossible to find one that hasent been tamperd with. Just find the one that has gotten it less.