Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Step by step timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Step by step timing belt replacement

Does anyone have Step by step instructions to replace timing belts on a 02 WRX 5spd sedan?

My buddy is going to do it for me but he said that not all cars are the same and wants to know exactly what he's getting himself into before he starts.

Tools needed?
Special adjustments needed?
that kind of stuff....
Old 05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Go to the Subaru tech website, and download the service manual.
http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp
$34.95 for a 72-hour subscription which allows you to download the files you need (20 file per hour limit, set aside some time as there are a lot of files).
Don't try to do this without the manual.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
I don't need the manual, however useful it may be. I need my deal to finish replacing my timing belt and all of the other bits and pieces. I was going almost 35 miles per hour, in a 40 zone, on a rainy morning, when KAPOW! Lots of bad noise! DAYS later, I was informed that SOA OK's rebuilding the heads, etc. It has now been two weeks and one day, and I am still driving one of the dealer's loaners. No mods, no clutch drops, (redline one or two, like everyone does) but no track time, no 1/4 mile times....etc....etc. I guess since it is a warrany job, the dealer is in no hurry. The car is on '02 WRX, 32 months old with 32 K miles. Does anyone have a suggestion or two on how to speed up the dealer? Their Ford Taurus is a walrus, as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
Timing belt, Chapter Two: I seems that the gas filled shock absorber-like chamber on the belt tensioner failed, allowing the tensioner to bounce up and down, breaking the bolt that holds it to the block. The timing belt came off (no, it did not break!) and the rest is history. The heads were magnafluxed and rebuilt, new tensioner, belt, gaskets, oil, coolant...etc.,etc. No question that all of it was warranted. The big chilll= it only took !***+(((Eighteen))) working days for SOA to approve the job and for the dealer to do it. When I got the satisfaction survey from the dealer, I gave SOA a blast about their needless delay in getting the job done. Naturarally, I went right out on a nice road and tried to blow it up, but the rev limiter worked.