Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Horrible Warranty Backing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX silver
Horrible Warranty Backing

My friend has a completely stock he bought at the knoxville dealership and a little over 10k miles the transmission takes a ****. They are saying hes been racing it, no proof completely stock. They bought it used as a daily driver because the other one they have is pushing over 400whp with a perfectly good stock transmission. the transmission was cheaply fixed twice under warranty right after they bought just for little things and then when this happens(sounds like marbles in a sheet metal box being shook up) they say its been raced. Why would they race it when they have the other one, its obvious that its the dealers fault.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:08 PM

they are
Old 02-18-2004, 09:33 PM

they bought it used
Old 02-19-2004, 05:27 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
Originally posted by GrumpySmurf
From other threads, it looks like people who don't break in their WRXs are experiencing transmission problems, especially third gear, I think it was.

Properly break in your car and problems like this are less likely to come up. As an example, several people with Suzuki SV650 motorcycles had 'sticky' gear problems from 4-5th or 5-6th around 3000-4000 miles, but they "rode it like they stole it" when they were supposed to be breaking it in. I've got 6500 on my SV650 with no problems, probably thanks to my anally careful break in .
transmissions dont need breaking in, sure they get easier to shift as they wear, but all transmissions are "broken in" fromt the factory. I was also "anally" carefull at breaking in my wrx and pampering it. But like many others, my trans broke at 4000 miles. they denied my warranty, I took them to court, I won. If they didnt race the car, they will win in small claims court. SOA just makes it a PITA to own the wrx cause they're so stingy when it comes to any warranty work.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Well now lets really look at the main reason why Subaru is wrong here.

We've all the seen the commercial where Lance Armstrong is stuck in a head shot with the rocken music saying "it's whats inside" while they cut to the shots of the Rex doing a full on barrel slide in the mud.... or ripping thru some back county road at well above posted speed limits..... There is little doubt in my mind that anyone with a warrenty problem on a stock suby couldnt make a damn strong case for false advertising.... at least as it relates to "abuse" or racing of the WRX.... They advertise these cars to young people with just that in mind. So when ever i hear a case of someone with a potentially legitamate warrenty claim i ask myself if the service managers in these particular dealerships, and some of them are huge, have any idea what kind of potential liability they are creating for SOA..... A class action lawsuit would force SOA to pull there ad campaigns, costing millions,... and honor all legitimate warrnety claims or loose millions...potentialy billions in false advertising claims as well!.... not including the lost sales from bad publicity.... if there's an approach for a legal rep to make this would be it.

K
Old 02-24-2004, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
a class action lawsuit is not possible with warranty situations (unless all incidents are the same) with the wrx transmission, some break in 1st gear, some break the 3-4 gear set, and some break 2nd gear. Most of these breakages happen random times and mileage. the best thing to do is fight them in small claims. If everyone that has their warranty denied fights them in court, SOA will rethink its warranty policy. Right now most people are settling for the denial and shelling out the $4,000+ for a new trans. I definately wasnt going to sit by and let someone take advantage of me, especially for a substantial amount of money like that.

the commercial isnt false advertising, with enough training and experience, you could drift your stock suby in the mud without any difficulty. the problem is in the warranty booklet. If you race your car, on the street, offroad, or in an event, your warranty will be denied.

the problem that I saw and that I presented in my court case is that when you buy a WRX you get a free SCCA racing license, blatantly promoting racing of this vehicle. My furious rant could go on for days, but blah blah blah, its all been said before, with no change in SOA's thinking!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Originally posted by DOHCammin
a class action lawsuit is not possible with warranty situations (unless all incidents are the same) with the wrx transmission, some break in 1st gear, some break the 3-4 gear set, and some break 2nd gear. Most of these breakages happen random times and mileage. the best thing to do is fight them in small claims. If everyone that has their warranty denied fights them in court, SOA will rethink its warranty policy. Right now most people are settling for the denial and shelling out the $4,000+ for a new trans. I definately wasnt going to sit by and let someone take advantage of me, especially for a substantial amount of money like that.

the commercial isnt false advertising, with enough training and experience, you could drift your stock suby in the mud without any difficulty. the problem is in the warranty booklet. If you race your car, on the street, offroad, or in an event, your warranty will be denied.

the problem that I saw and that I presented in my court case is that when you buy a WRX you get a free SCCA racing license, blatantly promoting racing of this vehicle. My furious rant could go on for days, but blah blah blah, its all been said before, with no change in SOA's thinking!

Now there's grounds for your class action siut!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Originally posted by OldGuy

What you don't, and won't, see in any of their ad's is somebody slipping their clutch so they can do a high rev launch at a drag strip.

The WRX is well suited to the former, not so hot at the latter.

The WRX is just simply not the best choice if you're looking for a drag car.
They don't show someone slipping their clutch but they constantly show 0-60 in 5.4sec ..... Last time I checked the only way you can get those times, on a stock WRX, is by lauching hard and slipping the clutch..... I rest my case

Quick Reply: Horrible Warranty Backing