Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Check engine light comes on one week before lease return!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cmlnr
Sigh...

One week before I'm supposed to return the WRX to the leasing company, the damn check engine light comes on...

45K miles... I know it could literally be ANYTHING, but is there something particularly common? Please tell me it's cheap! Probably something like an oxygen sensor, right?

Will the dealer pull the code for free, or will I be charged? Can any shop pull codes?

Uggg... Why now? ONE WEEK TO GO!!
Why not just reset the ecu right when you give it back to them?

:banana:
Old 07-13-2004, 09:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by my2003wrx
Why not just reset the ecu right when you give it back to them?

:banana:
haha, yeah, but it could come back when he starts the car again.

Did this happen just after a fill up?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by cmlnr
nope. 5/8 tank. doing nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the oil - it's low. Could that be it?
doubtful, but it wouldn't hurt to add oil. I think the only way you'll clear the CEL is by pulling battery power for like 15 minutes or something. Then you'll have to see if it comes back.

Try posting in your regional forum to see if any can pull CEL codes, or go get your own at a Kragen or something. That would give you the best idea.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Autozone will scan your car for free. If you are in CA they won't do it for you, but I believe they will let you borrow the scanner (you have to leave a deposit) and do it yourself.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

A loose gas cap will set a code on any OBDII vehicle (96 and newer). If that was the cause, the light should go out after driving the car a few times once the cap has been tightened.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 96subaru
any dealer can turn the light off. its often just a scheduled maintenance thing that comes on just to force you into the dealer regardless of the cars issues.
The CEL will not come on at any predetermined time to indicate the need for service. Some cars do have a separate light with this function, Subaru doesn't.
If the CEL comes on it means that the ECU has detected a problem. Otherwise you should never see it.
Unless you are under warranty a dealer will generally charge a diagnostic fee (normally an hour of labor) to check and turn off a CEL. This is why it's best to have it scanned someplace else for free, and take it in for repair only if it's something you can't handle yourself. Of course if you are still under warranty the dealer would be the place to go.