Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

CEL On...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
CEL On...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Help!!!

I just finished taking care of some maintenance for the 90K service (Oil, Tranny, Diff, Fuel Filter, Coolant, Thermostat, Rotate Tires). I attempted changing the T-Belt which resulted in failure after removing the V-belts. I got scared because of how complicated it seemed. I didn't want to mess anything major up. But, I did change the V-belts though, but the dealership gave me the wrong size belt for the P/S, so I put the old one back on. I also Installed some HID's.

I am driving back at to Socal from visiting family, when my CEL turns on!!!! There are a few things that it could be from me messing up.

1) The Oil filter the dealership gave me was for a 04+ WRX. I have a 02. I called and complained but the guy said that the smaller black filter was the one being used now instead of the white bigger one for the 02-03. Being trustful, I put it on and hoped for the best.

2) The V-belt...I tightened it to what I thought would be the correct tension. I am not sure as to how to measure the tension. But I have had no problems with the belts so far.

3) The CEL turned on halfway through my trip. I was in King City where I gassed up and I MIGHT have not closed the cap entirely. Could this generate a CEL? I hope this is it out of the rest of them.

Also, I was wondering...If the CEL is fixed, (Gas cap is closed entirely), will the CEL go off? Or would I need to clear it somehow.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:02 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
See below

Originally Posted by Wutzdatbehindu
I just finished taking care of some maintenance for the 90K service (Oil, Tranny, Diff, Fuel Filter, Coolant, Thermostat, Rotate Tires). I attempted changing the T-Belt which resulted in failure after removing the V-belts. I got scared because of how complicated it seemed. I didn't want to mess anything major up. But, I did change the V-belts though, but the dealership gave me the wrong size belt for the P/S, so I put the old one back on. I also Installed some HID's.

I am driving back at to Socal from visiting family, when my CEL turns on!!!! There are a few things that it could be from me messing up.

1) The Oil filter the dealership gave me was for a 04+ WRX. I have a 02. I called and complained but the guy said that the smaller black filter was the one being used now instead of the white bigger one for the 02-03. Being trustful, I put it on and hoped for the best. The dealership is correct.

2) The V-belt...I tightened it to what I thought would be the correct tension. I am not sure as to how to measure the tension. But I have had no problems with the belts so far. This is mostly by feel. I try to make sure I can deflect the belt about 1/4" with two fingers.

3) The CEL turned on halfway through my trip. I was in King City where I gassed up and I MIGHT have not closed the cap entirely. Could this generate a CEL? I hope this is it out of the rest of them. A loose cap will generate a CEL. Try resetting the ECU (remove battery cable for a couple of minutes).

Also, I was wondering...If the CEL is fixed, (Gas cap is closed entirely), will the CEL go off? Or would I need to clear it somehow.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
You need to get the car scanned with an OBDII reader to find out what code has been set. Otherwise any advice regarding the cause of the CEL is just speculation. Yes it can be caused by a loose gas cap but there are over a hundred other possible causes.
Autozone does free scans, although their policy is different in CA so they may allow you to borrow the scanner after leaving a deposit so you can scan it yourself.
You can also go into your regional forum here and at NASIOC and ask for help from someone nearby who has a scanner.
Once you get the actual code, in Pxxxx format, come back and post it here. Then we can give you more accurate responses.
Finally it's not a good idea to try and "fix" a CEL by disconnecting the battery. All this does is clear the code from memory so it can no longer be read to aid in troubleshooting, and it doesn't actually fix anything. Besides that, since the problem most likely still exists the light will probably come back on anyway.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI
The oil filter for all 4H cars is the same black filter, for STI and WRX no matter what year it is.