Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Car title issues- suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Car title issues- suggestions?

Hello! I'm new here, and like all noobs I'll start with a question. I'm selling my '97 OBS and trying to buy an '02 WRX.

The seller just moved to my state, and had the car retitled in Colorado on July 6th. Yesterday, I went to his house to have him sign the title, which I then brought to my bank.

However, when he signed it, he made two errors- one, he started signing where the Buyer should sign. I corrected him and signed over it. Two, he wrote the date as 07/10/07 not "06". I didn't notice this, the bank did.

My bank won't accept the title now because of these two errors. Their title experts say that it might be fraud. I drove 170 miles total to accomplish NOTHING (this bank is miles away but in the past they've been excellent to work with, which is why I tried them again).

He cannot get the car retitled for 30 days because of state rules to prevent car sale scams.

As an almost 30 year old adult I know I should have the patience to wait 30 days, but dangit, I want my freaking car! Can anybody think of some way to have this resolved sooner than that? I've never had this kind of trouble before!

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
can't you both walk into DMV and do a paperless transfer?

when I got my car, the previous owner just finished the payment on the car so he didn't have the title paper. The DMV computer shows that it's under his name and did a paperless title transfer.

I don't know about CO, at CA, you get your title paper pretty quick (at least I did). I was also removing a name from the title of another car of mine. I did everything the same same day at a local DMV. I got the updated titles back within a week. If DMV at CO won't do a paperless transfer, can't he just request for another cert and report the old one lost or damaged? You are not getting the car retitled since you don't have the car under your name yet.

Do I make any sense? Either way, good luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Well, the problem was solved. Before I give the solution- yes, he could get a new title, BUT he would have had to wait 30 days from when he got this title. He JUST got the new title on July 6th, which would have meant waiting until August 6th. Not the end of the world, but really irritating nonetheless. The car was still titled in New Jersey.

The solution was this: My loan officer called my county (where the call will be registered) and begged and begged and finally talked to a supervisor who said that they would accept the title IF the seller signed a "Declaration of Fact" claiming that the errors were just errors and not an attempt at fraud.

We drove to the bank, he signed, grabbed his check, and all was well.

So the OBS will soon be history (well loved for its nearly flawless service, not loved for its weeeeak engine and lame auto transmission). The WRX is sitting in my driveway.

Thanks for trying to help! I'm sure I'll come up with some other questions when I break something or "fix" something wrong