Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

BEWARE of Subaru techs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
BEWARE of Subaru techs

I just got my car back from the dealer (I was having a fuel leak fixed) and a few days after I got it back a Civic V-tech tried to race me and he won because my car had no boost (thats pretty sad). After opening the hood I found that the hose clamps on my airbox, the outlet hose from the turbo and the hose that is located in front of the intercooler were so loose that you could spin them. I also found 3 clamps that are made to hold hoses that had no hoses in them. It looks like some hoosier (no offence to people in Indiana) got all drunk and decided to try to fix my car. Not to mention how when I went to pick up the car I had a CEL and had to show the tech that there was a plug he forgot to plug in (after he couldnt figure it out). From what my mechanic told me the techs at Subaru get paid the same if they do a job in 1 hr or if they do it in 5 hrs. This doesnt sound like a way to get a tech to focus on quality. I hope I dont upset some of the Subaru techs on this site but Im just telling you guys what happend to me. I know that most of the techs are most likely very good at there jobs but you better hope you dont get a moron like the one that worked on my car. Its just like anything else there are people who take pride in what they do and there are people that couldnt give a rats ... they just want the paycheck. I called the dealer and told them what happend and they were very understanding and they are going to have someone other than the moron that screwed everything up check all of the things that I cant see. The dealer was good to deal with. Its just sad that 1 idiot can screw up the reputation of a dealership. I cant help but be scared of what the next guy might do to my car and I hope that these screwups wont come back to haunt me after my warranty runs out. If its not under warranty I will go to my mechanic like I always have.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 2.5 RS
Idiots work everywhere.

My Ohio-built 2000 Honda Si started spewing coolant one morning.

Looked under the hood and found that one of the hoses didn't have the tension clamp fastened properly.

The tension clamps are supplied to the factory with the "ears" pinched together in the "open" position with a small clip to expedite/speed assembly. During assembly, once the tension clamp is in place, the small clip pinching the "ears" is removed to release the clamp to the closed position. The idiot at the Ohio factory didn't pull the clip. And the idiot in charge of QC, if there was one, didn't catch it. The unfastened clamp still with the clip was just hanging there on the middle of the hose.

At least your dealer made it right. My sh1tty dealer had my car for 5 hours for this simple fix. They got rid of the original clamp and put a worm drive clamp to replace it. Sure, topping off the coolant took 4.75 hours. If I didn't call them to see if the car was ready, they would have kept the car for a week. They're stupid shuttle never came to pick me up, so I had to take the ****in bus. When I got there, the whole garage was out to lunch. My car was still on the rack because they wanted to "make sure I didn't run over anything that could have caused the "leak". WHAT THE **** COULD I HAVE DONE TO MAKE THAT **********ER AT THE FACTORY FORGET TO PULL THE CLIP ON THE CLAMP??? No service record on top of that... "oh, we'll just mail it to you". I don't know what they were trying to hide; but I never went back dealership. Shady bastards.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
There are bad as-es everywhere. My wife's '97 Honda went for a factory ignition switch replacement and routine (70,000 mile) oil change, and guess what! The "found" not one, but two oil leaks, worth $600 in repairs. Meanwhile, after refusing the repairs, I parked it for three days in my clean garage to observe, and guess what! Not a f......g drop on the cement. A nasty letter to the dealer and Honda got me the response that there has been a "big time" problem with gaskets blowing out with this model, and if it happens to me, the dealer in question will fix it, free of charge. As he said, "my name in on the door, and my reputation is at stake." Sure is. ps: I spent 8+ years with our Uncle in white hat and dungarees as a, guess what! Engineman diesel! I expect I know an oil leak when it see one.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
There are bad as-es everywhere. My wife's '97 Honda went for a factory ignition switch replacement and routine (70,000 mile) oil change, and guess what! They "found" not one, but two oil leaks, worth $600 in repairs. Meanwhile, after refusing the repairs, I parked it for three days in my clean garage to observe, and guess what! Not a f......g drop on the cement. A nasty letter to the dealer and Honda got me the response that there has been a "big time" problem with gaskets blowing out with this model, and if it happens to me, the dealer in question will fix it, free of charge. As he said, "my name in on the door, and my reputation is at stake." Sure is. ps: I spent 8+ years with our Uncle in white hat and dungarees as a, guess what! Engineman diesel! I expect I know an oil leak when it see one.