Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

ABS Grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 01' RS Sedan silverthorne
ABS Grinding noise?

alright so it snowed today, here in jersey.... quite a bit too. I decided to take m'01 impreza rs out for a spin.... and i literally did a few times; which was awesome. so while i was driving around tho, the abs was kicking in like crazy... mm and i noticed that it felt/sounded like it was crunching or grinding......

Now I have little history with abs system in cold weather.... i've only experienced it during the summer in dry weather... so is this supposed to be natural? or should change the brake fluid or something?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:35 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon - Java Black
mmm snow.. I am enjoying my WRX for the first time in this lovely NJ weather!

1) Brake fluid should be changed every two (2) years regardless of mileage. This is because brake fluid breaks down rather quickly, and therefore its performance can diminish. You may want to check the fluid level, just because you care about your car and want it to last. If its low, make sure you fop it off with the correct type of fluid.

2) As for the noise. Most cars with ABS will have a light "clicking" noise as the system is engaged. As the system pulses the brakes, this noise can be heard and you should also "feel" a pulse in the brake pedal to alert you that ABS is engaged. This shouldn't be a concern.

If the noise sounds more severe, like a chain draging on the highway, then I would be concerned!