Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

98 OBS A/C Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 1998 Impreza Outback
98 OBS A/C Questions

Hello,
Not sure if its me or my a/c...
From the start,A/C working but not real cold, I picked up a can of 134a, had a gage and brought it up to 40psi while compressor was engaged, supposed to be in spec?.
Compressor started to get notchy smoking the belt. After removing adjuster to repair rounded idler nut from previous owner I snugged up the belt and started again.Noticed that the clutch and compressor where very hot!!!! Burn your fingers hot....
I let it cool down released some of the pressure back down to 25 psi where I started with compressor engaged,blowing cold but it is a cool eve,not smoking belt but cycling approx 60 seconds on 20 seconds off is this normal?
After I shut the car off the A/c clutch turns slowly for about 2 minutes??? Is that normal???
I have to travel for a decent a/c shop (Not parts swappers) so any help would be appreciated..
Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM

No it is not normal.lol

Well found out for myself as the compressor siezed up solid,so it is not normal...163,000 miles I cant complain...
I picked up a second hand unit and it is up and blowing cold air again.Hope I dont smoke this one...
I just couldnt stand to bring it to the local dealer and spend $900++(Compressor,Condensor,dryer,etc...) to have them make it blow cold again.
The only question that I do have is it normal for the compressor to cycle with the a/c on with a Subaru? If anyone has one in good repair and could take a look that would be great.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by oshkosh
Hello,
Not sure if its me or my a/c...
From the start,A/C working but not real cold, I picked up a can of 134a, had a gage and brought it up to 40psi while compressor was engaged, supposed to be in spec?.
Compressor started to get notchy smoking the belt. After removing adjuster to repair rounded idler nut from previous owner I snugged up the belt and started again.Noticed that the clutch and compressor where very hot!!!! Burn your fingers hot....
I let it cool down released some of the pressure back down to 25 psi where I started with compressor engaged,blowing cold but it is a cool eve,not smoking belt but cycling approx 60 seconds on 20 seconds off is this normal?
After I shut the car off the A/c clutch turns slowly for about 2 minutes??? Is that normal???
I have to travel for a decent a/c shop (Not parts swappers) so any help would be appreciated..
Old 07-08-2007, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Yes it's normal for the compressor to cycle, that is how they maintain the correct temperature without freezing up.
You may not want to hear this, but just swapping a new compressor in wasn't the best thing to do. When the old one went bad it very likely sent metal bits or other contamination through the system, which without a proper service may damage the new compressor and cause it to fail prematurely. It would be in your best interest to take the time to get it to a shop that can pump the system down, give it a thorough checkout and recharge it to the correct level.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the warning ,already aware of the risk...The only "Correct" way to do it would be replace the condenser (No real way to get contaminants out of small passages etc)also...Then pull vacuum etc...Not worth the expense on this car for me (Compressor $528.50,Condenser $299.95,Dehydrater/dryer $125.93 local dealer list plus labor and 134A).
Thank You for the answer on the cycling.

Last edited by oshkosh; 07-10-2007 at 03:02 PM.