Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.
View Poll Results: Which car would you prefer after reading my post? (Will be winter driven!)
2005 Subaru WRX
88.24%
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

05 WRX vs 05 Mercedes C230 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by sonicsuby
IMO, the transmission is fine. People think the transmission is weak because they don't understand the forces they place on it when the drop the clutch trying to beat that Honda Civic off the line. I have local friends who are putting down 240+whp and 220+wtq, race their cars at local road courses, and have never had any issues. One guy did mush third gear, though - after countless track days and over 200 dyno pulls with a ton of power.

As for the Benz, don't do it. It's not worth the money. You're going to spend more up front, more in interest, possibly more on maintenance, and the car sort of sucks, to be honest. My grandparents have one, and I've driven it a few times - the seats are uncomfortable, the gas and brake pedals feel like you're putting your foot in thick, slow mud and the car doesn't handle very well at all.

The WRX interior is fine - you'll mainly hear other people talking badly about the WRX interior when the interior of their own car is the only advantage over the WRX. The new interior on the '05s is very nice - looks really good, seats are comfortable, everything works. My '03 interior is pretty decent - not the best looking, but it functions, it doesn't hurt my back and nothing has broken or cracked in it yet after 40,000 miles and 2 years.

Go with the WRX - you won't be dissapointed. If the luxury thing becomes a real issue for you, check out the new Legacy 2.5GT. The interior is much upgraded from the WRX, and the car has more power out of the box than the '05 WRX.

I agree with most of the points here. The '05 WRX interior is nicer than previous editions (though still not in the same class as MB). I actually prefer the Legacy GT's interior to MB, particularly with the perforated leather. In the end I went with a WRX over the GT because I wanted a hatchback (the WRX "wagon" is hardly a wagon).
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
one thing i might add- the subaru will definitely depreciate a lot less than that mercedes will. if you planning on keeping the car for 5 years or more then that won't be much of an issue.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 05-13-2005, 02:14 PM

Car Info: o4 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by neptune
One thing you forgot to mention about MB - quality and realibility. They're absolutely horrendous!! Read up some websites and reviews on Mercedes-Benz in recent times - they're really struggling to get the quality and reliability issues under control.

You'll be visiting the dealer a lot, if you go with the MB option.
Amen to that. My friends MB c230 spends more time i the shop than on the road.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:23 AM

Car Info: 2006 Impreza 2.5i Wagon
Originally Posted by lugee
Amen to that. My friends MB c230 spends more time i the shop than on the road.
LOL! Yea its quite sad actually... when you think about what they used to stand and where they sit now...

Ah well! Subaru fo'eva!