Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

C230 Kompressor...Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:43 PM

C230 Kompressor...Opinions

So the girlfriend is in the market for a new car, and is thinking about this car. Does anybody have any experience/opinions about Mercedes ? pros/cons etc. Also any alternatives in the 35K range would be appreciated. (she can't drive 5-speed) so no Evo or Sti for her

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...delCode=C230WZ
Old 10-26-2004, 04:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
The Kompressor is maybe the ugliest and gayest car to ever hit the market; that is next the the Honda Element. This is like the bastard child of Mercedes. If you want a nice car for her get her an automatic WRX, or Automatic Legacy GT. I just don't recommend a Kompressor. I just hate them.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
What about a 3-Series BMW, Volvo S60, or Audi4. I just think a Benz should have more than 189hp not a bad car but I'd get one of the others first thats all.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:24 PM

Car Info: Justy
Originally Posted by silver satin
What about a 3-Series BMW, Volvo S60, or Audi4. I just think a Benz should have more than 189hp not a bad car but I'd get one of the others first thats all.
^^^^^^
Good choices! Also is she sticking within the European cars? If not maybe a G35. Or a TL?

I haven't heard too much about the C230. Its a bit small for my tastes, but hell its a Benz!

Last edited by WRX-Zero; 10-26-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:44 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
hmm, let me try to think in a girls point of view... howz about a mini s? scion tc? legacy gt ? ford powerstroke? what about trucks? girls dig trucks..
Old 10-26-2004, 05:25 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i refuse to sell any mercedes- we have a used one- i'd rather not deal with the possible headache that may follow(parts replacement etc.)

i haven't personally driven that particular car, but the specs look alright. the torque rating is pretty good considering the size of the engine.

if she is planning on leasing the car then i say its a better way to get a mercedes-
parts and service are just too expensive on those cars.
but if getting the status associated with getting a mercedes is one main priority- then i say get it.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 10-26-2004, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
MB to me is only for status...not much substance or reliability there.

I'd get her to buy:

BMW 330I
BMW X3
Lexus RX330
Lexus IS300
Acura TL
Infiniti G35

...personally for this type of car, I'd buy the TL since I like the looks and the interior is pretty cool.

Also, check out the Audi A3 coming out next year.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
play the role, homie.... whatever.. i mean WhatEver She wants..

how are the magazine car reviews ? safety ratings ? insurance ? warranty ?

i made the mistake of trying talking my girl outta the car she wanted, but realized it's better to have her happy with her choice... i jus made sure the car ratings and reviews were decent. (maybe next time i can influence her to an is300)

if your girl is open.. tell her to narrow it down to a few choices.. and do the test drives. we all look for different qualities. i would compare warranties and other services (free oil changes, etc).. cuz i don't think u'll be fiddling or tweakin' this car out, right?

hopefully Poser can chime in since he's familiar w/ benz's...

but #1 ... whatever makes her happy (and hopefully it's something u can pimp in, too)

blah.. after saying all that... i also agree w/ brandon... not quite my tastes, "but hell its a Benz!"

it seems more status.. like greg & bpang said... and maybe that's the quality she's lookin' for.

g'luck bro !!
Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 PM

Car Info: STI
Do we need more positive reinforcement??
Attached Thumbnails C230 Kompressor...Opinions-g35_gtc.jpg   C230 Kompressor...Opinions-g35_te-37.jpg  
Old 10-26-2004, 09:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
The girl wants a benz, I say get her the benz.

Less fights
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 PM

Car Info: toaster
g35 or a 3 series
Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally Posted by keirnna
The Kompressor is maybe the ugliest and gayest car to ever hit the market; that is next the the Honda Element. This is like the bastard child of Mercedes. If you want a nice car for her get her an automatic WRX, or Automatic Legacy GT. I just don't recommend a Kompressor. I just hate them.

Don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel *lol*

IMO it's a nice car and at least its RWD. For the money I'd get a G35.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by WRX_FLIP

hopefully Poser can chime in since he's familiar w/ benz's...
wassup jeff!!!

steve, the link isnt working for me...i'm guessing it's the hatchback...at that point, i'd say skip it...the hatchback is a entry level benz to build brand recognition and familiarity with younger buyers...that being said, it has the worst quality/build reliability of all the benz's...

pony up for the regular sedan...the C230 kompressor motor is available in sedan form, which i think your gf will be more happy with...it also comes in a sport model with cross drilled brakes, and some minor cosmetic changes, which make it look pretty nice...there's also a SWEET metallic bluish-gold color that would suit a girl nicely...i got to drive a c-class sedan, wasnt the supercharged one, but it was okay for what it was...performance was average, soft quiet ride, nice luxury features...basically what it was intended to be...

i'd still kill for a C32 though...that sucker was nutz!!!

no problems with my aunties benz, and service is excellent (i'm the one who takes it in for her)...WORLDS better than the bmw service i get...also, forget about doing your own maintenance on these suckers...no oil drain plug...gotta use one of those vacuum oil sucker-uppers...and mercedes doesnt believe in resurfacing rotors...they're changed...but parts last a LONG time...

benz's come with lifetime roadside assist, so it's nice having that peace of mind (but then again, you can also buy it from your insurance company)...if she's serious about buying, buy an 04 model...the 04's will still have free maintenance for 4years/50k miles...the 05's will only have the first and second oil changes included...IIRC, routine maintenance will run you ~500-600 bucks...but it's about every 15k miles...so you're covered the first 4 years if you buy an 04...

the dealer wont give you too much of a price break on the c-class cars...maybe a little now, since it's the end of the year...if she's serious, i have a salesman there...very cool, and knows how "we" think- he drag races his cars, and is an enthusiast...lemme know if you're interested, and i'll pm you his name...

tell her to go and drive it, and see if she likes it...
Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
forgot to list alternatives...in that price range, the alternatives are: BMW 3 series, acura tsx/tl, infinity g35 sedan/coupe...

well, the 3 series was a M3, so doesnt really count i guess...great chassis and feel though...the TSX/TL was nice as a commuter car...felt some torque steer on the TL though...G35 sedan's looks dont do it for me...the coupe is pure secks, but may not be practical for her- small rear seats and very limited trunk space...

drive all of them and see which one she likes best...i have sales people at all dealerships also...lemme know if you're interested...
Old 10-26-2004, 11:53 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
if she really wants the benz then go for it, but if she is looking for possible options. i personally would lean towards the 3 series bmw or g35. Not sure why but i prefer the BMW cars for the most part.

it is a BENZ though, more than the car its the name. which is pretty important for females

Quick Reply: C230 Kompressor...Opinions