Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX and winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 10:48 AM

hey man. i bought my car in the middle of winter and when i was test dirvin it. i put it to its test on icy roads and slippery conditions and it does exceptionally well. this was with those stock all season tires, so if you had the right tires then you got a nice winter ride.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
AWD

I don't have a WRX but I can vow for AWD. It's worth it just for the wet and rainy days. To tell you the truth, I don't think I have ever hydroplaned in my '98 Impreza. I bought it in Feb. here in Virginia and we had the biggest winter, as far as accumulation is concerned, ever. If you are driving along straight and mash the gas, the car won't immediately get sideways with you. Heck, I was pushing snow with my front bumper and only parked it because I was afraid of getting high centered or tearing something up. Ground Clearance.

-Charles-
Old 04-23-2003, 02:02 PM

No WRX here either....another 98 Impreza RS.... and we had some SERIOUS snow here in the Denver/Boulder area...the car performed AMAZINGLY!!! I too was "plowing" snow that was almost as deep as my front grill (my front liscense plate is bent backward into the air dam area).... while EVERYONE else was digging like mad just to get out of their parking spots, I simply dug enough to get my door open, get in, stat up and drove away!!! I was driving around and the ONLY vehicles on the road were huge SUVs and Pickups....and SUBIES (of course). Many of the streets I went on weren't touched by plows & had 2+ feet of snow...NO PROBLEMS!!! I even went into a parking lot to goof around and "experiment" a little....needless to say I was VERY impressed with how this car just GOES and the handling. i've only had this car about a year now (in July), but so far, it's one of the best choices I've EVER made!!! ENJOY!!!

Last edited by revit; 04-23-2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Drove my WRX on stock tires through snow in Tahoe all last season without much drama. The ABS would light up very easily, which is unnerving. This season I was on Nokian NRW (their all-season) and the brakes worked much better.
I bought this car so I would be free to drive to the slopes when it was snowing and have not been dissapointed in the least.