Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats that sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by incubus587
i floored the gas pedal and side stepped the clutch then i heard a loud clunk come from the transmision....well more like a loud smash clunk sound
If nothing broke, you might have heard the pinion snubber hit the rear differential. It might also do this on hard upshifts.

Dropping the clutch off the line is pretty hard on the drivetrain. Slipping the clutch just enough for a quick start is more forgiving but will shorten the life of the clutch. It's still cheaper than rebuilding the tranny, though.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-27-2003, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by incubus587
Why does it do that?
Torque reaction causes the front of the rear differential housing to rotate upward during hard acceleration. I think it has something to do with the way the pinion and ring gear inside the housing mesh with each other and acceleration makes the pinion gear want to 'climb' the ring gear when traction is good. The snubber is a safety device and isn't really meant to make contact with the rear end on a regular basis. It prevents the differential housing from rotating too far which can cause breakage of parts because of the extreme pinion angle.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush