Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

What is a good aftermarket clutch to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 AM

Car Info: Impreza WRX Wagon 02
Post What is a good aftermarket clutch to buy?

I recently burnt out the clutch in my 02 wrx and purchased a stage 2 F1 racing clutch, I have not yet installed it but upon reading some reviews have only found bad things about it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one to purchase.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 AM

Car Info: 1998 Club Spec WRX
Unless you have a straight cut gear box it is always best to get a stock Subaru clutch. The weakest link in the chain is the clutch. It will usually fail before you do damage to your gearbox. The worst thing you can do with a stock box is put in a heavy duty clutch.. I have seen it on rex forums many times.." yeha..new heavy duty clutch" and then a few weeks later from the same person " does anyone know where I can get a good 2nd hand gear box, mine just died " .. When it comes to clutchs...stock is best. Cheers..
Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
ACT HD Street Disk has always served me well but is known as a transmission breaker if you don't drive properly. And ACT seems to be hit or miss (I've gotten both), but when it works it has worked for me. South Bend clutches are also highly praised.

If you're stock or stage 2 though, just get an inexpensive Exedy Organic clutch. It will be the easiest on your wallet, easiest to drive, and least stressful on your gears and synchros.