Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

How low should i go on my '05 Rex??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
Max em' out! If you have to remove collars!

Name:  26B07C81-8B02-4F55-A734-4D9DD53581B8-808-000000DE25D5E49A.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  C6AEDFD3-5E83-45ED-B8BF-0C7805B42B36-808-000000DE2666A84A.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  53.9 KB
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 04 Sti
Originally Posted by esousa22
Fromt his morning. Here is the look brfatal/norcal are getting at. Lose most or all of the wheel gap. I have seen slammed AF cars with 224 or 235 on 9.5" rims and it does look CLEAN but I wouldn't ever do it. If you want a closeup of the wheel gap LMK
Wanna trade side skirts?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Stacheless Cholo

Car Info: 2005 STi
I agree with Idrivemyi...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
See, it makes sense for idrivemyi since he didnt buy a performance model... might as well go for looks. But if you paid for a wrx/sti, why throw away the purpose of the car?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX 2.5L T/S, 272s, FMIC, Flipped Mani
http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkclown/8322082111/http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkclown/8322082111/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/funkclown/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkclown/8403875895/http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkclown/8403875895/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/funkclown/, on Flickr

GET LOW!!!!! I need wheels
Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Sell me your hood (you can keep the scoop) and you'll have money for wheels.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
See, it makes sense for idrivemyi since he didnt buy a performance model... might as well go for looks. But if you paid for a wrx/sti, why throw away the purpose of the car?
Going low doesnt throw away the purpose of the car. It is still a WRX, you can still drive fast, you can still take turns hard. Just because it's slammed doesnt make it any less of a performance car. Ask cornfed.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by funkclown

subi by funkclown, on Flickr

Untitled by funkclown, on Flickr

GET LOW!!!!! I need wheels
Funk I like that scoop :O jelly much, also those stocks dont look bad drop. Which coils are you on?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by iDriveMyi
Going low doesnt throw away the purpose of the car. It is still a WRX, you can still drive fast, you can still take turns hard. Just because it's slammed doesnt make it any less of a performance car. Ask cornfed.
What? I don't even.....
Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Brfatal
What? I don't even.....
No, no, let it be... they dont know the meaning of, among a million other things, contact patch...

Adjust your car for low OR for go... cant really have the best of both...
Yes you can slam your car and go fast, but you are at much higher risk of things going very wrong...

Last edited by norcalbro; 02-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
uhh.. you can't take turns hard without your wheels rubbing from my experiences with friends low cars. Then you are also blowing through tires in 10k miles or less. I've been in a couple low slammed cars that I can't hate on for the looks but could never take a corner like I could without the tires rubbing which is a dangerous thing if it rubs bad enough. I've had friends tires pop on a corner/ pop off the bead because of stretched tires. Don't get me wrong, its nice as far as looks but thats the only benefit. You have more dangers than benefits. OP if you can afford tires 4 times a year or more depending on how you drive (I have a friend that drives his wrx slow and he replaces his tires every 3 months 225 on 9.5, this time 235 on 9.5), you are okay with the tires rubbing, tires wearing unevenly which would be a danger in the rain unless you ahve a second set of wheels that you have to raise the car for and get a realignment, can afford GREAT coilovers because megans wont cut it while being slammed (my buddy has had his megans for maybe 35k miles and they are clunking pretty bad and it happened after he slammed it) and be VERY aware of bumps in the road because since you dont have meat on your tires, bumps aren't forgiving and can pop the tires easier. I think that about sums it up as far as negatives. You'll have some bada$$ coilovers, nice wheels, nice looking car that I hope you take care of even though our paint sucks anyways. and that about sums up the positive things. The positive things while having meaty/ functional tires is well, better traction because the tires have all those little cracks and lines for water to pass through that will be planted on the ground how the tire was designed at the proper angles so you dont hydroplane as easy, you wont rub if you dont supertuck your tires, you wont hit your exhaust on driveways/speedbumps or have to go hellaslow over speedbumps, you dont have to be worried about your passengers hitting the door against the curb or you hitting the front bumper on the curb while parking, you will have correct suspension articulation according to spec if you do everything according to science and functionality which I still need to work on. And you will probably be able to run a softer setup because if you are slammed you have to stiffen up the shocks so they dont travel too much.

Last edited by esousa22; 02-25-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM

True, but also it only takes about 30 minutes to raise it back up for say an autoX weekend or track day. Maybe another hour to get an alignment. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by esousa22
uhh.. you can't take turns hard without your wheels rubbing from my experiences with friends low cars. Then you are also blowing through tires in 10k miles or less. I've been in a couple low slammed cars that I can't hate on for the looks but could never take a corner like I could without the tires rubbing which is a dangerous thing if it rubs bad enough. I've had friends tires pop on a corner/ pop off the bead because of stretched tires. Don't get me wrong, its nice as far as looks but thats the only benefit. You have more dangers than benefits. OP if you can afford tires 4 times a year or more depending on how you drive (I have a friend that drives his wrx slow and he replaces his tires every 3 months 225 on 9.5, this time 235 on 9.5), you are okay with the tires rubbing, tires wearing unevenly which would be a danger in the rain unless you ahve a second set of wheels that you have to raise the car for and get a realignment, can afford GREAT coilovers because megans wont cut it while being slammed (my buddy has had his megans for maybe 35k miles and they are clunking pretty bad and it happened after he slammed it) and be VERY aware of bumps in the road because since you dont have meat on your tires, bumps aren't forgiving and can pop the tires easier. I think that about sums it up as far as negatives. You'll have some bada$$ coilovers, nice wheels, nice looking car that I hope you take care of even though our paint sucks anyways. and that about sums up the positive things. The negatives with having meaty/ functional tires is well, better traction because the tires have all those little cracks and lines for water to pass through that will be planted on the ground how the tire was designed at the proper angles so you dont hydroplane as easy, you wont rub if you dont supertuck your tires, you wont hit your exhaust on driveways/speedbumps or have to go hellaslow over speedbumps, you dont have to be worried about your passengers hitting the door against the curb or you hitting the front bumper on the curb while parking, you will have correct suspension articulation according to spec if you do everything according to science and functionality which I still need to work on. And you will probably be able to run a softer setup because if you are slammed you have to stiffen up the shocks so they dont travel too much.

:si gn0008:
I'll just be quiet now.. lol
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Idrivemyi, before this turns into another pointless argument, answer me this...
If I have two of the same car, one slammed on its nuts, collars removed on the coilovers, stretched tires, and 6degrees of camber, and one lowered just enought to remove wheel gap, but still using the full functionality of its coilovers while maintaining nice, meaty tires... which one will handle better?

This is the point im trying to make. If you slam a car, you lose performance. Im not saying the car becomes useleas, or that its stupid. I think the slammed look, looks good... but I prefer a great handling car thats still agressively stanced...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Please tell me that both of the cars handle better than the car I'm currently in with stock 2003 RE92s.

Hell the prius even. (Jamison I know you're gonna like that one)

Quick Reply: How low should i go on my '05 Rex??