Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

200 mile forced break-in (?) and my buying experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 08:33 AM

Car Info: silver WRX 4-dr
200 mile forced break-in (?) and my buying experience.

I bought the WRX this weekend and
the dealer mentioned that the car electronically limits the boost from the turbo for the first 200 miles to aid in break in and keep the test drive antics at bay. Is this true? I couldn't find anything about it elsewhere, including the manual...

As a side note, since I'm new here, I'll quickly share my buying experience. A month ago, I went to a subie dealership in north AL, where they wouldn't even let me test drive the car and said the sticker price for non-negotiable. Here is the actual comment I got from the salesman: "Since Subaru has spent so much on marketing, test drives are unnecessary" (!). I left in disgust and forgot all about the WRX. Later I looked at a couple of used ones under 10k miles, but they were all about $20,800. Figured I might as well get a new one. After talking with a salesguy on the phone on and off for a week or two, we finally settled on a price I thought was fair. I came in and looked at it and everything was in order... started to write the bill of sale and noticed they tacked on an extra $530 for documentation fees! $530! Were they handwriting all documents in triplicate using a quill pen for the calligraphy on gold paper?? I tried to get that removed with no luck. They mentioned the price on the car was low as they could go, and they gave me as much as they could on the trade-in. They wouldn't even cut it in half... I got up to leave not as a bargaining tactic but because I felt I got jerked around a bit. They said that they couldn't budge on the doc fees but would cover all my scheduled maintenances for 36k miles, and then the salesguy confided that yes, the $530 for docs was a joke, but its basically the only profit he was making on the car. Fair enough. The extra $500 pushed me over from paying cash to financing (only 0.9% for 24 months!!) part of it, so I thought, WTF, let me add in the short throw shifter and fancy rearview mirror. Anyway, the whole buying experience except that part was fairly pleasant. I couldn't be happier with the car, although right now I'm following the break-in routine religiously. My last car was an '87 Porsche 911, but this is going to make an acceptable replacement.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:27 PM

Do you best not to boost at all during break in.