Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

02 wrx knocking and misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 AM

Recently I tuned my Wrx via access port with the stage 2 OTS 91 oct map, my mods are
Catless up pipe & divorced wastegate downpipe 3" Catback exhaust
SPT Intake

And I've been keeping track at my data logs and everytime my car relearns the tune fully, my feedback knock and fine knock learning show numbers like 1.78 and 2.10 and 4.22, at low Rpms mostly, then my cel shows up and says misfire for cylinder 4.

This happend 2 weeks ago and I replaced all the spark plugs and coil packs and that seem to have fixed it, but right as my car try's to fully learn the stage 2 tune it will start showing Knocks.. Then cel came back on for the same thing, misfire cylinder 4. So idk what to do... I honestly think it's the SPT intake.. I've heard they're compatible with Cobb ots tunes but I guess not for the most recent revision. Anyway what do you guys think, I'm really kinda stuck here, my car is also back in limp mode... It seems to run fine in limp mode (it's slow and builds boost slow) so that's why I think it's just the tune ...

There's also a light faint ticking noise that just started happening between a certaint rpm and it gets more consistent with revs but goes away when it gets higher in the rpm range but Dosnt sound loud like a rod knock or anything...

Last edited by waffrx; 05-17-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Did you purchase brand new coil packs or used?If used try and put the #4 into the #3 and the #3 into the #4 see if that will do anything.Also make sure you have the correct ones in the right place,if i remember correctly the white sockets are in front and the black are in the back.Do you know if the car has a light weight flywheel by any chance?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by DabiDa
Did you purchase brand new coil packs or used?If used try and put the #4 into the #3 and the #3 into the #4 see if that will do anything.Also make sure you have the correct ones in the right place,if i remember correctly the white sockets are in front and the black are in the back.Do you know if the car has a light weight flywheel by any chance?
My mechanic said he purchased new coil packs for all 4, and no It doesn't have a light weight flywheel...
Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Humm thinking....How did the old plus look when you pulled them?Plugs will also help give some kind of indication as to what is going on aswell. Wonder if it is the generic tune that is giving you issues.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DabiDa
Humm thinking....How did the old plus look when you pulled them?Plugs will also help give some kind of indication as to what is going on aswell. Wonder if it is the generic tune that is giving you issues.
Well I flashed to the stage 1 map and for the past 2 days it's been running fine... A lot less knocks then when I was at stage 2, and so far no CEL and it runs well, holds boost well and idles fine.

But I'm still wondering why I'm not able to run the stage 2 map, I'm pretty sure I have the supporting mods.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 PM

Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 PM

Ok well today the cel came on while driving for misfire in cylinder 1, again so idk what to do now.. It still runs fine. After I reset the ecu, or else is goes into limp mode