Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Trunk Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:16 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS
Trunk Rattle

Ok...so ive searched around...it seems like dynomat will solve some of the problem, spraying will solve more, but im not sure if will cure my problem or not...First of all i have 2 12's in a bandpass box, with 4 ports pretty much straight into the rear deck. Ive investigated, and ive found the following places vibrating: Massively in the trunk, window, rear deck, rear bumper, doors, front hood even...now...if i open my trunk it all goes away....is it because there isnt enough air to be pushing around, and once i give it the air the vibrations go away, or is the trunk and windows rattling so much its make the entire car vibrate. Anyways, people hear me from about a mile away, however the closer i get the worst i sound and if your next to me, i sound like I have a person in my trunk banging against it...So if i went and bought a ****load of dynomat would this cure the problem?

I would also like it add that people hear my coming a mile away with it pretty much turned up all the way....however even if the stereos turned down pretty much to off the rattling completely overtakes the sound...Inside if turned up all the way, it sounds awesome, open the door, take a step out and it sounds like hell...I also have the armrest leading the trunk, i believe the ski hatch? open and it helped a little...

Last edited by Creatre3; 04-07-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
There are going to be rattles with 2 12's. I'd say that 2 12's is over kill for just about any set up, especially in an impreza. Keep in mind that your speakers are YOUR speakers, you bought them so that you could have good music inside of your car, and you shouldn't worry too much about how it sounds on the outside. Granted, those rattles probably work their way into the car and disturb the sound. I say that you should do some dynamat on the areas that are causing most of the trouble. I did dynamat and that made a great difference, another thing that I did that made a big difference was putting foam cushioning underneath the rear deck. See what you can do, but you may just have to turn the sub setting down a little.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by gijow
There are going to be rattles with 2 12's. I'd say that 2 12's is over kill for just about any set up, especially in an impreza. Keep in mind that your speakers are YOUR speakers, you bought them so that you could have good music inside of your car, and you shouldn't worry too much about how it sounds on the outside. Granted, those rattles probably work their way into the car and disturb the sound. I say that you should do some dynamat on the areas that are causing most of the trouble. I did dynamat and that made a great difference, another thing that I did that made a big difference was putting foam cushioning underneath the rear deck. See what you can do, but you may just have to turn the sub setting down a little.
thanks for your help! Ill try cushioning a bit under the rear deck, it seems thats mainly where the interior noise is coming from....i turn it up louder because at low-mid volumes you hear rattle, at high you high only what you want to hear, good highs and low lows, but then i drive around getting nasty looks because i disturb the world..../shrug, prob shoulda gone with the 1 12 that was better like i was thinking, but it still sounds good so ill try what you said. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
Good luck, I don't know if your head unit has this feature or not, but if you can try turning all of the speakers off except the subs. This will allow you to pinpoint more clearly were the noise is coming from. The rear deck causes a lot of noise, i used cheap foam seat cushions that i bought at walmart in a park of four. I had to trim them a bit and really had to smash the rear deck down hard to get it to clip, but it's made a huge difference. Make sure that your jack is snug. Just expand it so that it fits tightly in its spot. I didn't dynamat the trunk lid because I wasn't sure if the extra wieght would prevent the trunk from opening with the interior lever. Just do some detective work, you'll be happy with the results of a couple hours of work. Let us know how it goes.